Skip to main content

MeG Early Medieval Early Scots vs Normans

A historical match-up, is that allowed!!!



Nick wanted to try out a Dark Age force for The Age of Inadequate Lighting that I am running at the fabulous Boards & Swords in Derby in October. I only have one list from the 'Early Medieval' section of MeG, my Early Scots, so successful, so far, so when Nick arrived with a Norman force, we were on for a historical match.

The terrain was open, with me attacking, Nick is working on some posh stuff, before anyone complains about his cloth. Two pieces of cavalry friendly magic terrain, and a wood. His dinner was fish, chips and mushy peas.

Deployment, we both chose to avoid the wood, but Nick was obviously planning to use the cavalry friendly magic terrain for his knights to pile through, whereas my close formation Scots would be massively disadvantaged in, so we skirted (kilted?) around it.

My Viking allies (really Anglo-Danish, under Edger Aetheling) show how much they hate their oppressive occupiers by immediately going on the offensive. (If you get black and white cards on turn 1, with an ally, they become unreliable).

End of turn 1, my cavalry has advanced full speed with the intention of pinning Nick's better, and more numerous horse lords. My foot plugged the gap between terrains, while Nick swung his army wide to find my flanks.
Centre, what centre?

Crossbows move up in support as my cavalry falls back, Nick swings superior household milites round.

In the not centre, my hordes push forward en echelon. Nick split his split forces, and chaos theory began.

Another fallback... I had to buy off a shooting wound too.

Nick follows up, I'm now in a spot where he can't get immediate overlaps or flanks. On the left, a unit of superiors goes crossbow hunting.

I turn my left hand vikings to face the approaching flank threat from bows and cavalry, but being careful not to set foot in the rough.

I'll get there eventually, honest!

After an hour and a half of cagey playing by both sides, contact is made.
I didn't want to give Nick an opening, while he looked for an opening! Nick's cavalry is triggered to charge (2.99999999etc base widths away becomes an auto charge range for lancers, unless you pay to hold them). On the way in, my cantabrian armed light horse get three green against one of his units, causing a skull and a wound. Makes life easier as he is much better than me on the charge! I had deployed deep, compared to Nick's width, to try to minimize impact casualties, as if I survive I equal him in melee.

And survive we did, I lost two bases, and missed Nick, apart from a wound. My left hand unit only has short spears (+1) compared to his devastating charge, charging lancers (+3). Phew!

Melee, and my commander is caught up fighting, so expanding my left hand unit was not really possible as it costs an extra card (both cavalry commands on this flank had been cursed with bad cards all game). The evenly matched Norman knights both expanded, trying to find each others flanks, but my mounted warriors were stuck.
Didn't matter when you out roll your opponent though! 

Didn't like that wound anyway, so I bought it off! 

Nick's superiors milites charge my light horse, who spectacularly fail to achieve their goal and are caught and munched by Nick (0-2, you get 1 point for each unit of skirmishers). This also leaves the rear of my cavalry exposed in two turns time!

Back in the not-centre, Nick, knowing I was not coming into the rough to fight him, catches my superior warrior unit in the flank (there is no frontal contact, yet), and kills two bases on the charge (to be honest, I got away lightly with that one).

Back on the cavalry flank, my knights broke his, and forced a Kill A Base test on his beaten up knights facing my mounted warriors, who were very fragile by this point, which also broke them (4-2). This could easily have gone Nick's way, but I got very lucky. The fight was right next to the discard pile!

And in routing him, it pulls my cavalry well out of charge range of his returning Milites.

In the centre, my flanked unit and friends were dealing damage to his knights, but my superior unit was one hit off breaking. My Vikings had been effectively nullified by Nick holding the terrain and trying to get round my flank, it was effectively a staring match. I had contacted his crossbows with my other superior foot unit, and was slowly grinding them away, when we called it a night at 6-4.

A tough, cagey game, both of us were feeling for the opposition's strengths and weaknesses, and the terrain really hampered me, but as usual against Nick, a great laugh and a good fight.

Nick's comments: "Good write up. Glad to try my lot out. Difficult opposition with all of those shield walls. I made a few mistakes I command structure, deployment and moves - well on just about everything really. The army  has been rejigged for Derby, although there's also Plan B!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

15mm By The Fire and Sword Transylvanians commission.

Principality of Transylvania ( those ones , not those ones , get your mind out the gutter). Batch 4:- Ten more bases of Transylvanians (so thirty figures) for Manny, this time Comitatus or heavy household troops. Heavy lancers. A lot more colourful than the light horse. As ever, Manny will do his own basing and add flags later. Lots of cloaks Quite a sizable force Batch 3: 30 extra Transylvanian light horse for Manny Not as bright as others, but these are lower order troops. Advance Lots of hairy cavalry As ever, Manny will base these himself. That way lads! Player's eye view At the trot The force, so far (there's still have a bag of blisters to do) Batch 2: As ever, Manny will add the flags and his own basing at his leisure. 12 bases of household levy lancers (36 figures, not sure how many units that equates to) for the 15mm Transylvanians. Only realised whe

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25