Skip to main content

Mortiem et Gloriam - Out Of The Dark Ages, Element Games, Stockport Feb 2018



So,
You know when you are signed up for a competition, and you have no idea what to take? Well, the train to Element Games for a start! Great venue.
The theme was 1070-1500, European Medieval, which ruled out my 'go-to' list of Samurai, so I was left with three choices.
Tudors - dull, never going to win.
White Sheep Turkomen - seriously never going win.
Early Scots - also never going to win.

I went with the Early Scots in the end, as it was an utterly silly list that had no chance of getting anywhere near a win.

Oh how wrong could I be!!
My list:


So, 8 TuGs of short spear, shieldwall. Nothing special. In 8s, one unit of not very impressive cavalry, a useful unit of Norman Knights, a unit of hard hitting Vikings and two units of skirmishing cavalry.

What was I up against?
 This slot, with Roger's People's Crusade due to join us on the Sunday,
No photo description available.

 Stephen Stead and his Frisians, lots of long spear, a nasty average swarm list, with many allied options. Any game against Lord Stead is always a hard but good fight.

I also ended up being one of the umpires as the 'Holy Trinity' of Si Hall, Alasdair or Richard could not make it. Eeeek! 

The table was bare, really really open terrain! Eek!

I went deep, Stephen went long! Could I get through his line before he enveloped me?

His two allies and my ally both played ball. His knights and Danish allies were both headed towards my line, squeak!

His knights come piling forwards towards my line, this was going to hurt!

BRACE BRACE BRACE! The Danes approach, the knights pile in, and Stephen's long spears trudged through the woods.

My light horse fail to do their thing, get caught and destroyed. Oops! (0-1)

However, Stephen's knights were having a really bad day! Both his units would collapse under the weight of Scottish spears! (4-1)

That's a lot of my army looking greedily at a unit of crossbows and a unit of short spears! Wow, how did that happen?

Stephen's spears contact my heavy cavalry. This was touch and go, especially as his unit was much bigger than mine.

My Normans crash into Stephen's Danes, and look how good our dice were, all blanks!

And a pair of red and yellows from a flank charge basically finish off my cavalry (4-3). I did repay with a wound! Yay!

And look what happens when I try to get a flank in! Drat! 

Normans decide cowardice is the better part of valour, especially when my second skirmishing cav disappeared (4-4)! 

The maul develops, enveloping Stephen's Danes and another unit dissolves (6-3). Stephen cleverly withdrew his crossbows.

My centre punched through two units of his Danes as time ran out. (12-8, we both get two points for surviving). 

Hell of a game, very close and I was already massively ahead of where I thought I was going to be.

Game 2: vs Pete Entwhistle's Swiss... Swiss... *GULP!*
Wall to wall superior pikes and halberds. Yeah, this was not going to be a win, but would be a LOT of fun, as Pete is another regular competition opponent and knew his way round the rules.

The table, and beers. Hopping Hare, very nice! I owe you Pete.
Lots of mountains. I went with rocky ground and hills, which Pete decided to anchor his flanks on.

Scouting cards, I'm 10% up! :)

Pete deployed wide, but that was still dangerous with his army, it was going to take a lot of effort to get through the middle.

Meanwhile, on the next door table, two Nikeophorian Byzantine armies were engaged in a Busby Berkley-esq dance routine!

The Swiss reformed as they advanced, taking up their dreaded keil which has no flanks. Four pike blocks, three halberds, some skirmishers. All well hard! I decided to risk a left hand cavalry sweep, seeing is I could pick up points before my foot disintegrated

It's getting closer to crunch time! My right hand foot looks like it would have to withstand a keil and a  halberd block on their own. Good luck lads, you're Viking, if you die, you get to go to Valhalla, win-win really!

The masses approach. At least with all these mountains we won't get homesick! I shot off one base on Pete's skirmishers.

Two units of skirmishing cantabrian archers issue a notice of eviction on Pete's skirmishers! That was enough to see them off! (odds are 1in6 x 1in6 x 1in6 = LOTS) (1-0, and time for my traditional cry of "I got a point!")

CRUNCH! His pikes and my spears meet. The odds are ever in his favour, especially as he can swing in a unit of halberds into my my Viking's flanks, in fact, this was the second unit they had contacted this way! (1-2) Pete was about to roll up and annihilate my flank!

My Normans go for broke and slam into his halberds. 6 average Normans vs 4 superior bills, yeah... what could go right here!

Amazingly, we stood! My lighter spears are redeployed to deal with the enveloping bills, and Pete's  pikes in the flank of my Vikings. (I was 1-4 down at this point)

It then got tense, and I forgot to take any more pictures! On the left, my Normans eventually got his halberds (4-6, but only after my two units of Viking spears had collapsed).
Then, Pete's cinc general died in combat to a lucky swing by a Viking huscarl! Pete's pikes, all badly battered, failed their Kill a Base Tests, seeing their lord die, and the result was a cascading fail of morale, under the shear weight of Scots swarm, collapsed, and his second unit of pikes and his flanking halberds also fled. Really lucky dice rolls won me this whole game! (15-6). Another brilliant game. Pete was hampered by small army and low break (4 vs my 6) but his army was really hard to beat)

Going into beers and curry I was on 27 out of a possible 30 points, no idea how this really happened. Had I , by mistake, found a viable list?

Beer were great, curry, no so. I spent a night with massive indigestion, thanks for the Renee, Ray!

Game 3: vy Stuart Tonge and his Nikeophorian Byzantines vs my indigestion and hangover.

Again, another NO CHANCE match up. An entirely mounted Byzantine force, with lots of superior cavalry and an ability to dance.

Sturat picking me up on one of my many rules mistakes. Thank you.
He out manouvered me, was better than me, a good player and a rock hard list too.

This is what 21 TuGs and three Sugs looks like, as the People's Crusade arrived on a nearby table! Thankfully I was not fighting this.

Led by a 'Divinely Inspired Goose'! 


Meanwhile, Stuart was applying 'Chaos Throry' to my army. Dancing and dancing, but I was able to hold some of my line together.


Exceptionally good shooting rolls from my skirmishing, down-trodden cavalry vs heavily armoured catafracts!

My light horse, pinned to the edge of the table, and about to cost me points for running away, thankfully, it did not happen.

Stuart's four cavalry should have broken off from combat, tying me down, and shooting me away, but his commanders never had the cards. My superiors in the middle had seen the worst of this, as Stuart had played this superbly against them.

His cavalry vs my Normans, not a fight that would go well. My Normans and cavalry again would suffer against superior and well used enemies,

Catafracts and superior cavalry stare down my Vikings. I was going to suffer here too. This game was Stuart's to win!

Fortune favours the stupid, my Huscarls charge on black dice, trying to relieve the pressure on my other Vikings!

My Normans actually do some damage! However, their flank was dangerously exposed, and my cavalry were already toast.

Those poor cavalry of Stuart's cannot get a break off! Meanwhile, he closes on my Vikings on the right as I try to force through to his camp. Yeah, not happening!

My Normans hold on, but are taking hits. The Catafracts are chewing through my foot nicely.

And his flank charge arrives, squashing my Normans, but they did not got down without a fight (a wound and a half, assisted by shooting from my skirmishers). Stuart broke off his catafracts, leaving my Vikings hanging.

He piles into my foot on the left flank. I had finally broken his 4, but a superior 6 was a real challenge. I also caught and crushed his skirmishing horse archers that were flanking my Vikings.

My huscarls pile in again on the Catafracts, and it does not go well! But I did a few hits on the way out to Valhalla, leaving the heavy horses very brittle.

This was, strangely, the turning point of the game. My Normans were long gone, but an extremely lucky shot on Stuart's horse, causing multiple hits and breaking the unit of four that was on the left.

  The short spear armed Scots caused one more wound on the next cavalry unit, the general died on the break too, causing two KaBs on the catafracts, which also shattered and broke, giving me a shock win of 15-6 which I honestly did not deserve.

Stuart honestly should have trounced me on that game, but it left me with 42 out of 45 points, and second place! With my list, in this period, should not be doing this well.

The last game was vs Jason, one of the elite players. This was the sort of match I usually get to in the first round, but due to Si Elliot, Alasdair Ade, and other strong players not being present, I had got lucky so far. It was simply a case of how much could I lose by, as Cid and Sam were submarining up from the lower ranks, plus Ray, who had been run over by Jason in round 3, was also a threat, could I hold a podium place?

The terrain did not fall my way. Very dense with broken ground that disorders my close order foot (basically, anything on foot in my army, so 9 tugs) and not cavalry (the whole of Jason's army).


My one success, I caught one of Jason's light horse with my foot! I GOT A POINT!

But, that was it, in scenes too graphic for polite viewers and in a brilliantly tense game, Jason took me apart in a masterclass of destruction. I forgot to take photos as I was so enjoying it. I had two of his units on the brink, but each time he pulled it out the bag. I was well and truly crushed. End result 1-15.
So, this was the result I was expecting in all four games. I had had an awesome weekend. The army that I had thrown together in a moment of 'what the hell can I use, and what can I get painted in time?' had done me really well. I came away proud of fourth. My Early Scots will definitely be back!

The results - that tonking by Jason knocked me clearly out of the running, but hell of a game!
Jason Broomer   Ottoman   60
Laurence Donohoe   Later Lithuanian   50
Sam Street   Imperial German   49
Will Denham   Early Scots   43
Stuart Tonge   Nikephorian Byzantine   39
Ray Duggins   Hanseatic & Frisian   39
Matthew Poole   WoR Yorkist   38
Stephen Stead   Frisian   36
Peter Entwistle   Later Swiss   32
Bill Skinner   Medieval Polish   32
Jacques Wilputte   Albanian Principalities   31
Robin Spence   Norman   30
Geoff Pearson   Medieval Portuguese   28
Ian Crossby   Nikephorian Byzantine   21
Roger Whittam   Peoples Crusaders Sunday only   8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

15mm By The Fire and Sword Transylvanians commission.

Principality of Transylvania ( those ones , not those ones , get your mind out the gutter). Batch 4:- Ten more bases of Transylvanians (so thirty figures) for Manny, this time Comitatus or heavy household troops. Heavy lancers. A lot more colourful than the light horse. As ever, Manny will do his own basing and add flags later. Lots of cloaks Quite a sizable force Batch 3: 30 extra Transylvanian light horse for Manny Not as bright as others, but these are lower order troops. Advance Lots of hairy cavalry As ever, Manny will base these himself. That way lads! Player's eye view At the trot The force, so far (there's still have a bag of blisters to do) Batch 2: As ever, Manny will add the flags and his own basing at his leisure. 12 bases of household levy lancers (36 figures, not sure how many units that equates to) for the 15mm Transylvanians. Only realised whe

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25