Skip to main content

Soldiers of Napoleon - Imperial Guard vs Austrians.

 Mark and I met up for a game at Leighton Buzzard Wargames Club. My Imperial Guard vs his Austrians, but he had taken an earlier list (1806), whereas mine was back to 1811. This time saw the first fielding of my new Young Guard.

My plan was to adance the guard through the two villages, one brigade had deployed forwards in the centre to accomplish this; then swing in from the left with the Gauard Heay Cavalry brigade. Unfortunately, Mark had other ideas! He had deployed with his cavalry brigade screening forwards. Then it all really went his way. Soldiers of Napoleon has three things you can do on each card, an amount of units that can move, a rally state and special events. Sometimes, the cards fall absolutely how you want them to, sometimes, they don't. Turn one and Mark had been dealt two sets of 'At the quick' special event cards, allowing a march and then a manouver (or vice versa) for three units. Exactly the amount of cavalry units in his brigade! Combined with a 'SAenior Commander Arrives' as his Corps commander rocked up to see what all the fuss was about, and I was out carded. This meant that suddenly his two Cheveuax-Legaur and a unit of Hussars were already BEHIND both guard infantry brigades, and I would hae to try and react to this. Plus he got me with a 'Lost Orders', so I was down a card and therefore had less ability to react. Perfect storm, but this time against me!

The Hussars swung right, catching an Old Guard unit in the rear (I had been trying to move them into the village, but did not have enough cards to reach safety). Mark rolled fairly badly, and my Guard unit withdrew to the other side of the village in a rather big hurry. I would now be using cards that I needed to move things with to rally, cutting down on my reaction abilities, and worse, leaing a battery of guns in range of a follow up charge from a disorganised and only slightly bloodied unit of Hussars!

Meanwhile, Mark's two other units were bearing down on the back of my central infantry brigade, plus my horse artillery from the cavalry brigade.

My heay cavalry  brigade vainly tries to react, the artillery batteries, carefully positioned to deal with Mark's infantry skulking behind the wood, swings to face, but their fate will be sealed.

Mark has me, sliced through the middle. I am firing artillery and skirmishers at him, but my dice and cards were dropping big hints that really I should pack up and go home, but I wanted to fight on and see what would happen. To add insult to injury, both foot guards brigadiers decided they were 'At Risk' and legged it away from the threat, costing me two card in round two, when Mark's reserve cavalry appeared, meaning he was on 8 cards to my 4!

Ignoring teh square of the Guard, Mark plunges his cheaux-legure past the square, round the village and into the Guard foot artillery, breaking them.

Wchich left their flank exposed to a cannister shot from teh horse artillery, a good throw here could have broken them! Needing 5&6s, all I got was one hit. Soem days...

The heavies arrive, and the Genadiers a Chevel plunge into the disordered Cheveaux, causing mayhem, but not destroying them. Mark at this point had all three units in teh brigade on possible routs, but some well managed rallies saed them all, and what could have equalled the scores evaporated.. The Guard infantry commander has now run a second time...

On the right, Mark's massed 12 pounder artillery has been targetting the square of the Old Guard outside the left of the village, and despite some serious rally cards bing used, they routed from combined fire, leaving the artillery utterly exposed. The other two guard units were using their skirmishers to try and cuase enough hits to break the Hussars, but Mark had enough spare cards to rally the cavalry brigade and put them all into good order. They tried four times to charge my artillery, but failed their 3+ motivation each time! When they eventually did charge and wiped out the foot artillery, they had accrued enough point to break themselves, my one victory for the night.

Austrian off table batteries turned their attention to the Young Guard in the centre, Mark could not miss! All my remaining cards would be used on rallying, but Mark, haing more cards, could keep firing at them.

Teh Yound Guard break, and this seals the game. I was down to single digit victory points after starting in teh mid-thirties., Mark was still in the twenties!


 I had lost BIG! Despite that, it was still an excellent game. The luck and the dice all went Mark's way, and if the cards had been the other way, we woukld hae had another report of my Heavies tearing an infantry brigade to pieces. This was such a laugh, and although I lost a battalion of Old Guard, two batteries of artillery and a Young Guard battalion, it still felt like a good fight that might have swung my way. It goes to show my Guard can be beaten, and now I need my revenge on the Austrians!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Another Grenadier 1984 from Brian's collection - possible Flesh Golem? Pants! Quick job, but fun   TT Combat Halfling adventuers, a barbarian, a fighter, a ranger (with squirrel), a mage, and a bard (with bagpipes) Rough bunch Distancing themselves from the Bard! Fireball!   Really random. Converted GW 1990s halfling on a Ral Patha sheep - a ram raider! There are quite a few more of these to do, but this one fell off the lead pile while I was looking for something else. He will become part of a Dragoon Rampant units I suspect Back view Charge!  

6mm Pony Wars commission for a friend.

Friend asked me to do his Pony Wars kit now that Baccus have taken it over.  Painted quite a lot of dismounted native foot too! Top view Singles Why is there a Squeeze song going through my head. Sneaking up on the cavalry Back view Heading out Pairs The Indians send signals from the rocks above the pass The cowboys take position in the bushes and the grass The squaw is with the corporal, she is tied against the tree She doesn't mind the language, it's the beating she don't need Threes She lets loose all the horses when the corporal is asleep And he wakes to find the fire's dead and arrows in his hats Or something like that Here we go Sixes Top view Left view Snipping or sniping 8s Lefts Backs Right Missed two bases of US cavalry Going that way Ready to go Scouting This is going to end badly for the cavalry   [img]https://i.imgur.com/k1iK9pV.jpg[/img] Mounted US troopers for Keith. The pairs Top view Off they go. Player

Legion Imperialis 8mm - Civitas ruins boxed set.

Terrain box (Civitas ruins) painted up Honestly took me longer to build it than it did to paint! But there may be a reason for that Someone needs a word with their structural surveyor! I mean, the build quality here is awful. At least the marines will have somewhere to hide It's about an A3 of ruined stuff It's been trashed Comes with a lot of scatter  The rest of the club was doing it, so I had to do it!  Looking through the various Legions from the Horus Herasy, I decided... Nope. Don't like them. Stick to what you know. 'Stick 'Em In The Eye - It's the Emperor's Pointy Sticks' So, seven years after I painted the 'Emperor's Pointy Sticks' in 6mm, GW have released Legion Imperialis in 8mm. Marine booster pack painted up, group photos! Mixed bag About 100 extra points on table!  "Did I miss the photoshoot?" *FACEPALM* These are the ones I've be