Skip to main content

Thoughts of Chairman Meow, been a while!

 Been a few years since I've had thoughts...

Well, actually, I've written one of these posts a few times over the years, but not published.

What am I thinking about wargames tight now? How am I feeling? What do I need/want/think?

I'm feeling good. I am very happy with my local club (and it's only two streets away), and the range of games they play is huge. I have many good friends there, and it's always a great laugh. 

I am loving Blitzkrieg Commander in 10mm for WWII, it's superb, and might have even just bought another force for it! Mortal Gods in 28mm for Ancient Greeks is going well and never fails to produce a good game, and it's a great pick up game. The odd Legion Imperialis and Burrows and Badgers or Pulp Alley are hilarious. More of that please. 

Not done Soldiers of Napoleon for a bit, but it's still there on my top games list, and I've got a new unit for my 1806 Prussians, and two on the painting table right at this moment, after lord knows how many years, and will definitely be up for more games soon. So, that's good. 

Massed games are great, but they need to be simpler and good to play. MeG and ReG have been my go to for years, but where to go instead? Want to give ReG more of a go, and have signed up for a comp in the new year, so will see if that reignites a spark.

The LBZ club prefers skirmish games. Okay. I am enjoying that. I now have enough terrain to fight in most periods, plus people like Mort & Dave have great selections if I don't, which had been a worry, but now I'm happy to play at any time.

However, I feel a gaming void. So, what am I missing?

To quote our dear, departed late great friend Graham, 'infantile machine gun noises', or 'pew pew'. I want to fly something and blow something up. Not on a screen, but across table, but not found a set of rules I really like for ages.  I recently found my 'Scramble' fighters, and it's set me thinking . It's a great rules set, but maybe too complex for the modern oeuvre. I want something simple and fun, like maybe X-Wing, without the v1 rules creep or lack of support for v2, or Battlestar Galactica fighters, and if I could find a set of rules for them. Is it time to find a rules set for capital spaceships, or something? I want to break out the big ships again, Xenos Rampant worked surprisingly well, but what to do...

Colonial - better get on with my 10mm Mahdists stuff. That's great.

I need to get that 28mm Government force for 1745 Black Powder started, maybe it will jolt something if I got on with it? Shall I just throw some units at the painting table? 

I even have 28mm Border Reavers figures sitting there. The Queen's Envoy (Black Adder( figures are done, and I have another faction, unpainted, ready to fight with as a skirmish game, 

Also, might need a new dice bag though, mine has split!  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frostgrave Warband; a demon!

A demon Hard man - back armour Top down   An orc, been sitting in the pile of shame for a while. He's on a 30x30mm base Probably end up with my gobbos   Four more skeletons, a gift from my lovely neighbour Brian. Two Prinz August self molded skeletons and two games workshop skeletons. Back view Quite a mix of weaponry Charge   Antediluvian Miniatures recently produced these, and I just had to have them! Left - Right Heinrich Kemmler, Lord Krell, Ranlac the Black and Mikeal Jacsen! The four main characters based on the illustrations within 'The Terror of The Lichemaster warhammer 2nd edition mini-campaign. PDF here They are the main antagonsits of the campaign, and genuinely nasty pieces of work! I moved the arm pose on Krell to give him some depth For c£20 they are lot bigger, and a damn sight more affordabl...

Black Powder 1870 Stats and Modifications

1870 Franco-Prussian Conflict in Black Powder Hi all, If you are reading this, it's because. like us, you are Black Powder fans and want to know how we manage the Franco-Prussian War. Anything below is by no way official, just the house rules we have developed over the last few years of playing. A few thoughts first: Fighting in the period is best described as hard fought assaults by Prussians, supported by superior artillery against superior but very strong defensive French lines. All ranges and movements are in cm scale, just to be awkward! All my forces are modelled on 3” square bases, apart from divisional commanders, skirmishers and artillery which have a frontage of 1½” and Corp commanders who are on a 2” base. Feel free to ignore that. My units are regiments of infantry,   brigades of cavalry and skirmish squadrons of cav. Artillery is either battalion as one gun, or a battery of two guns on a base, horse artillery have limbers attached. Army composition...

Mortal Gods

Footsore recently released this rather fun game, based around 28mm skirmish fighting in ancient Greece. Tried it at Campaign, then got a set for my birthday from Manny and Rob at Boards and Swords . This month's batch of Mortal God's figures, some new, some old. Athenians - bought when the rules first came out in 2019, just after doing evveryone elses's stuff, I had lost the mojo to do these, plus my Thespians have been serving me well. But, with the great shed tidy, and continued popularity amoung my friends, it was about time. The Athenian set had lead heroes, and plastic hoplites/peripoli, but I decide that I can use any of my other hopilites to fill in for the citizens, and that actaully, I sould get on with the lead. Athenian Marine hoplites - regular state troops, as opposed to my irregular Thespians Top down With Athenian shields from the boxed set Ready to go Regular, armoured, marine archers "Hit that one!" "No, that one!...