Skip to main content

Renatio et Gloriam - A Test Event - Game 1: Poles vs Swedes.

Game 1 vs Stephen Stead and his Swedes
If you want to test a Renaissance army, put it up against a great player such as Steve and a brutal army such as Swedes. During the Renaissance, this army was as close as you could get to a professional, elite force. However, it was fighting too far from home and no matter how good you are, attrition, disease and your enemies ganging up on you will eventually be your undoing - but not before establishing a near legendary reputation!
The Swedes have their own challenges to face. Superior (and even Exceptional) foot with high elan, battalion guns and the ability to shoot before charging in; superior cavalry, commanded shot, guns and dragoons. Yes they were small, but lethal!
 Yeah, ouch.

The table was a barren, featureless plain (Hi Nobby)!
Deployment: My foot, being completely outclassed, hung back. On the left my cossacks and Panceri looked at a juicy target of dragoon and commanded foot, while on the right both units of Hussars and Rayters lined up on three units of Steve's cavalry. If I were to win, that would be the spot where I could do it

Very quickly my left hand cavalry force moved up to threaten the foot advance, drawing out the dragoons and commanded foot, if I could get into these, game on!

Steve moved one of his pike and shot units up to support his endangered cavalry line as I moved to pick my targets.

I also moved up a unit of foot to counter the threat of Steve's foot to my cavalry. They stood no chance, but they might distract from the important bit!

Bugger! I mean, as far as cards go, that's pretty naff!

It all goes off! Hussars on the left in a good position to do some damage. The Rayters are there to also try to cause as much damage as possible before my second unit can get in. However, that foot unit is a problem.

Yup, my Hussars fought so well on impact that despite being up everywhere, we lost. Typical performance from them really! The Rayters lost a base too.

And after Melee The Red Hussars were in real problems, despite facing an equal opponent! He had lost one base from six, I had lost 2!!! Meanwhile, my Blue Hussars were actually doing alright vs a superior, but nervous pike block.

On the left, in a swirling maelstrom of shot, I was being enveloped by Swedes... 

My second Rayters and supporting foot close in. Steve adjusts and sends another unit of foot to help counter me. 

My attempted charge on the left is about to be stopped by charging nervous foot! Oh come on... 

Rayters ride to the rescue.

My approaching foot cause a wound shooting on a black die (the worst possible shooting die), an event worth celebrating! 

We cause a wound! Maybe, just maybe...

No, foot cannot intercept a charge by cavalry, especially out in teh nervous flank zone. We lose a base on the way in to shooting, but we contact the commanded foot. This could be a nice, easy win!

And in melee we knock then down to a wound from breaking! Come on! But 2 S results on the right means my cavalry fails to break the unprotected foot, and the Swedish foot to my right is about to cause me a world of hurt.

Think this might be a Swede mash
 My foot decides it might actually need to do something, and quick!

The fighting continues. I was making no headway, at all. Despite being up along most of the line, I could not get anything while I was bleeding bases.

Crunch! That flank charge puts paid to my cavalry! Double skull on the result doesn't increase your longevity.

Turning to face to engage, but not enough cards to break off. 

Again, a green and yellow miss, while Steve rolled the wound on a white that was enough to break my Panceri! (0-2) This was not in the plan.

The only wound I did with my cossacks! 

Over on the left, after two hours of game time fighting, it all collapsed! The Red Hussars break, as do the Blues, taking the both the Rayers with them! We did, however, break one of Steve's cavalry, but this was little consolation, too little, too late. (2-10)

Suddenly the flank where the cream of my army had been was now a wide open space with Swedish cavalry enjoying unlimited spaces to play!

So much space that Steve was able to swing his Superior Finns into a position to charge my foot on my baseline! Yoiks!  In the far distance, my foot breaks one of his foot units, but for me, that was it!

Denumont! Oh well, it was fun.
With the collapse of my Cossacks, it was a well deserved 4-15 to Mr Stead.

What I could have improved?
Moving up to shoot the Swedish foot quicker. It led to Steve being able to support on either flank. Also, checking the combat factors, my Poles cavalry should have been better than the Finns, as I was armoured, but he had pistols, so Green vs Green was a risk that didn't pay off.

So, onto Game 2 vs Bruce Rowlett's Huguenots.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

Aliens - more eggs, equipments.

+++Further transmissions received+++ Final set of bits from Assests and Hazards for Aliens, including four eggs. Eight more cases. Top view Three more terminals Classic beige Couldn't help myself - electric dreams!   +++Transmition received+++ What weird eggs are these? And one is already open, which means... Hold on, I'll just check the database... Errr, guys... There's a lot of blips... Another twelve of them! I've got them on monitor... They've breached the wall... They're coming this way! We can't stop them! +++Transmition ends+++   Four more crates. Because...   A few extra bits of usefullness to run the game next week. The stuff of nightmares, a pair of facehuggers! Really nasty idea Leaping to capture new victims Eeep! A pair of high tech computer terminals Living in electric dreams... Sure my Uni had these as high tech in t

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25