Skip to main content

Renatio et Gloriam - A Test Event - Game 2: Poles vs Huguenot French

So, sitting at the bottom of the table after one game, bruised but unbowed, my Never Victorious Poles march on, sulking slightly and demanding extra elastoplats!
The Huguenots were a Protestant sect in France in the early C16th, who attained the throne under Henri IV, and in the very capable hands of Bruce Rowlett, this was going to be a challenge.
What does this mean as far as the army is concerned?
This...
Doesn't look much, until you consider there are 2 12s of Pike in there! That's HUGE, plus more and better generals than my mob, it has lots of interesting abilities, and worst of all, because the Keills count as double sized units, it breaks on a 8, wow. (mutter mutter).

However, my cavalry was better, and I out ranged him. Time to let the Polish foot have some fun. 😈
I forgot to take photos of deployment, oh well. My cavalry went left as Bruce had closed out the terrain on the right. Foot in the middle, then I thought I would try a Rayter on the right along with my skirmish capable foot, for a laugh!

The table was plains again...

On the right, I thought as Bruce's foot was wandering past in skirmish formation, that I would try something outrageous. I lined my Rayters up for a cheeky charge!

Meanwhile my foot manoeuvred to bring their better ranged muskets and harder pikes to try to damage as much of Bruce's line as possible. My cavalry was on a mission, kill his before his Keils could cause damage!

That is a LOT of horse flesh approaching his line. However, that Keil was going to be more of an issue that Hemel Hempsted's Magic Roundabout for a learner driver! 



 Hmm, what could I do about this lot? Well, my Rayets (out of shot bottom right) charged, and although they rode through the volley of death taking 2 kills from 6 white+ and 2 flat white dice, got into the caracole and smashed it on the charge. Forcing the accompanying foot in skirmish to evade away. However, both units died in melee, so by the end of turn 2 it was already 2-2!!

 My cards on the left were NAFF! But I did manage to get the Blue Hussars (5 games, no kills, no hope) in on Bruce's cavalry line. He has much shooting, but it did not stop the cream of Polish elite cavalry, who definitely had a point to prove. If they could ever hit, and today, on the caracole on the right, and the Cuirassiers, for only the loss of a wound. At last a decent return for their points.

The Hussars expanded, tieing down a third unit. Engaging three units by themselves, and after losing a base we had killed 4! This is a huge risk, but it is what they are actually meant to do. I was bringing up my other Rayters in support as quickly as my still naff cards would allow to support.

It was quite some hole my cavalry blew in Bruce's line. Yes, he had a MASSIVE unit there, but I was pouring in three units of fire from my muskets, he was taking losses before he could close, look 3 wounds, dakkadakkadakka.

Meanwhile, on the cavalry flank, my Blue Hussars kept inflicting the hits, but my Rayters who were sent in to support decided cowardice was the batter part of valour and left as quickly as they arrived! (2-4)

And the Keil came in! As it did, it took more shooting losses, and even combat losses. It was starting to look fraggle (or as fragile as a unit that starts on 12 and is down to 9 can look.

I had to do something about that second Keil, it was starting to bear down on my Blue Hussars, squeak! Oh look, the red hussars, who have been retiring, they might be able to distract. Meanwhile, one of my shot units is taking the wrong end of two of Bruce's shooty types.

Maybe I can charge those annoying shooty foot with my Hussars? Where the hell did that Keil come from!!  Hussars, so good that they cause wounds on black dice. It was not good though, he caught me twice and my Red Hussars, in disgrace again had to admit even they could not win that one!

The shooting on the left actually goes the way of the Poles, one of Bruce's unit's is in trouble. I have now committed three units to take on his keil, and the monster is now down to 8.

But his loose foot is moving up fast in support. However, he broke my foot with is keil, and then fell apart himself. (6-6, keil's count as 4 when lost). Just off top the left is where our two units had also mutually destroyed each other! (8-8, this was getting too close to call).

I sent in my cinc, and my  Panceri to assist the beleaguered blue hussars, who were in danger of breaking themselves, but it was a great moment for the Blues, who after 5 games finally redeemed themselves by breaking THREE units in one turn! Glory to Poland! (8-14).

At that point we timed out, in an exhausted heap. Final score 12-10 (as this is the maximum you can get for not actually breaking your opponent's force, you can utterly muller a huge force, and yet if you survive, you will only score 12, still a decent score) SO close, yet so far.
16 points so far from 30, hmm, Poles, are they worth it?

Points for improvement?
Don't try to take on Keils with Hussars. EVER.

Next up, Sunday and Round 3 vs Keith

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

15mm By The Fire and Sword Transylvanians commission.

Principality of Transylvania ( those ones , not those ones , get your mind out the gutter). Batch 4:- Ten more bases of Transylvanians (so thirty figures) for Manny, this time Comitatus or heavy household troops. Heavy lancers. A lot more colourful than the light horse. As ever, Manny will do his own basing and add flags later. Lots of cloaks Quite a sizable force Batch 3: 30 extra Transylvanian light horse for Manny Not as bright as others, but these are lower order troops. Advance Lots of hairy cavalry As ever, Manny will base these himself. That way lads! Player's eye view At the trot The force, so far (there's still have a bag of blisters to do) Batch 2: As ever, Manny will add the flags and his own basing at his leisure. 12 bases of household levy lancers (36 figures, not sure how many units that equates to) for the 15mm Transylvanians. Only realised whe

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25