Skip to main content

10mm Mortiem Et Gloriam, Senguko Samurai vs Vikings

Second warm-up game for Reading Warfare, using Si Hall’s Mortiem et Gloriam rules (MeG) which we have all very much enjoyed this year.
I was using my Uesgui Senguko Samurai, whereas Nick was using his Vikings for the very first time.
So, sword and spear armed wallies vs sword and spear armed wallies*, what could possibly go wrong!
All troops are Pendraken; Samurai and Vikings all 10mm, and looking sweet!

The board, as Nick was defending, was ‘Very Dense Coastal’, with a waterway, which proceeded to swallow 6 pieces of terrain, hills, towns, forests, all submerged! So, for very dense terrain, it was really very open!
I had managed to get a hill on my back line, and a wood in the right flank, Nick got a steep hill on.
(Graham & Mark on the next table playing 40k)

A view down the Viking line, pretty impressive stuff Nick!

Turn one, I dealt the firsthand, and as the cards were given out, my Allied general’s cards had to be dealt face up, just in case he was unreliable.

He was!
Drat!
I was in trouble!
HELP!

Nick had deployed as far forward as he could reach, I was practically on the baseline. He was closing fast, and I had inactive troops. My cavalry had to come out from behind the hill, my bow armed Samurai and a unit of Ashugari sprang nimbly from their wood, and promptly needed many cards to sort themselves out! I had made a pig’s ear of this, and it looked like I was in trouble.

Could I pull this one back, I tried to get my boys forward as Nick's 13 units looked like they were about to envelope my boys!


Nick threw in a charge against my cavalry. My cavalry are skilled shooters, with power bow, and their first shot was, erm, rather brutal! And there was another wound on the next green dice too! Nick had lost three stands from 9 in the opening salvo. Maybe this was not going badly after all.

Oh look, it’s the red card my allies needed to come on line!
Phew!

On my right, my infantry sorted themselves out, my cavalry evaded his foot (fired for effect, rolled a six, so +1 to their movement, +/-1 for Superior), and my allied foot came forwards into a coherent line, Nick was coming in en echelon, could I hold against this approaching steamroller?


CLASH! The right hand unit of Nick's had embedded beserkers, superior and +2 for devastating charge, they could have torn a massive hole in my weakest unit (a 6 of average ashugari), nail biting stuff.
Nick missed!

My bow armed cavalry continued to snipe Nicks Vikings, causing a kill, and a wound on a superior huscarl unit approaching behind.

On the right, my archers came out from their barricades, and joining my guard archers, started to pick on Nick's other units, yup that was another 9, taking hits! Meanwhile, my spears were taking hits from Nick's skirmishers that had snuck up the steep hill.

One of Nick's units was shot away, Nick charged my unit of ashugari with his superior housecarls, I had to swing my guards around to try and drag him down. In this ensuing combat, my Commander, Fluffy, took 3 hits, and survived all three without a wound!

I charged Nick's wounded unit and they broke, the nextdoor Huscarls were also gravely wounded. I broke through with one unit, the other, which had contacted his huscarls, broke off. sweet! Those Huscarls were now going to get shot to pieces by the bow armed ashugari to the right!

Meanwhile, three units were desperately holding off against six units of Nick's foot. I couldn't miss, he couldn't hit, but worryingly, his huscarls were about to crash my Samurai's flanks, could I hold out?
 
Charge!

That's a LOT of 10mm! Note the comparative losses, me, not much, Nick, huge!

There goes another Huscarl unit!

My cavalry starts to turn the flank, these boys averaged +6, but they missed!

My samurai on the flank broke, but I caught Nick in the back with my cavalry.

Nick threw another unit of Huscarls (he had 4 sixes of them, ouch) into my Guards, trying to drag them down.

The last moments, Nicks far left unit broke, and his army collapsed.

15-2 to the Samurai.

*Whalley is my maternal Grandparents name, and when my aunt had her DNA tested a few years back, it was found a large portion was Viking, so, yes, we really do have Viking Whalley’s in the family!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

Aliens - more eggs, equipments.

+++Further transmissions received+++ Final set of bits from Assests and Hazards for Aliens, including four eggs. Eight more cases. Top view Three more terminals Classic beige Couldn't help myself - electric dreams!   +++Transmition received+++ What weird eggs are these? And one is already open, which means... Hold on, I'll just check the database... Errr, guys... There's a lot of blips... Another twelve of them! I've got them on monitor... They've breached the wall... They're coming this way! We can't stop them! +++Transmition ends+++   Four more crates. Because...   A few extra bits of usefullness to run the game next week. The stuff of nightmares, a pair of facehuggers! Really nasty idea Leaping to capture new victims Eeep! A pair of high tech computer terminals Living in electric dreams... Sure my Uni had these as high tech in t

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25