Skip to main content

Imperial Romans vs Golden Horde Mongols

Or
Dux Brittanium et praesido par rura colit murum vs Алтан ордон.
All in glorious 10mm Technicolor.
Both armies were mine, Paul was using my Mongols as MeG Golden Horde whilst I was using my Bremainer Roman-British garrison.
Paul had four generals, two 6s of light horse, two sixes of unprotected cavalry, many fours of protected cavalry and four superior protected of cavalry.
My list was two 6s of cavalry (one superior), 1 6 of light horse archers, 1 4 of heavily armoured catafracts, 2 sixes of average limitarii Auxilia (Wall Hinterland Garrison), 2 6s of average field legionarii, 1 Auxilia Palatina (superior auxilia) and 1 Guard Legionarii

This was not going to be easy! My Romans would be out shot, all Paul's horse was equipped with the Mongol super-weapon of Powerbows, short spear/melee expert and a good chunk was superior, my cavalry was basically dead, the Roman's 'shieldcover' (ie Tursio) was also nullified by powerbows, I was a sitting duck!! So, I had to play canny...

So, scouting terrain and deployment. I won! I dragged the terrain back to normal, the terrain fell where I wanted it (coastline, wood and village to anchor my forces between) and I even out-scouted the Mongols by 40% (all card driven)! So, how to beat Mongols, make them come to you?

Oops, left an obstacle mid-table!
Romans on the left, a legion holding the village, auxilia holding the woods, auxilia in the open deployed between caltrops. Calavalry deployed safely behind the infantry. Mongols in line to the right with the Khan floating behind.

The view from the Mongol lines as they started to try to find a way in!

PAul closed in to try and weaken my line with powerbow shooting, but had to pull back with the MOST expensive move EVER!

It did not go well for Paul, as instead of corner sitting like I had convinced Paul I was doing, I was sneaking one of my cavalry through the woods, and I came out to play with my heavy foot, initially creating a fire lane for my light horse and pushing through with my infantry, soon I had caught and destroyed two units of cavalry as Paul never had the cards to successfully break off.
My superior cavalry on the left started hunting down Mongols, who started shooting the unit to pieces.

Paul's firing dice were never as good as they should have been, but my auxilia throwing javelins were unstoppable! They saw off another cavalry shooting, and were pushing his cavalry back onto his camp. Most of my units had taken sufficient wounds that a few more hits would break them, but they never materialized! There were a lot of tense moments, my catafracts had their wounds bought off on many occasions. One of my legions was pushing light horse around (skirmishers get pushed out the way in MeG by heavy foot and horse) like Pumba bowling for buzzards!


I lost all my cavalry and light horse, but the infantry was out maneuvering  and tying down Paul's horse, on the verge of taking his camp or pushing another unit off table, he was on the verge of breaking (he was on 4/5 compared to my breakpoint of 3.5/5) at the point where we had to call it a night. 10 - 9 to me (15-7 if we had taken it on).

Catafract sandwich anyone?
 Great game, my Romans did a LOT better than I expected, they rolled well when needed, their green shooting dice was phenomenal!

Comments

  1. Very nice indeed Will

    http://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

    Take care

    Andy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

15mm By The Fire and Sword Transylvanians commission.

Principality of Transylvania ( those ones , not those ones , get your mind out the gutter). Batch 4:- Ten more bases of Transylvanians (so thirty figures) for Manny, this time Comitatus or heavy household troops. Heavy lancers. A lot more colourful than the light horse. As ever, Manny will do his own basing and add flags later. Lots of cloaks Quite a sizable force Batch 3: 30 extra Transylvanian light horse for Manny Not as bright as others, but these are lower order troops. Advance Lots of hairy cavalry As ever, Manny will base these himself. That way lads! Player's eye view At the trot The force, so far (there's still have a bag of blisters to do) Batch 2: As ever, Manny will add the flags and his own basing at his leisure. 12 bases of household levy lancers (36 figures, not sure how many units that equates to) for the 15mm Transylvanians. Only realised whe

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25