Skip to main content

Mortem et Gloriam 28mm Magna - Late Republican Romans vs Alecxandrian Macedonians

 JC vs Alex, yes please!

Mark asked to do a Rollcall practise, as he has been busy prepping his Alexandrian Macedonian and for me, any excuse to drag out my Caesarian Romans. 7000 points is not the industry standard at 28mm, a 1000 lower than 2023, but this actually plays in my favour, as I only lose a unit of 6 Gauls, which are now fours, no longer de charge, but short spear charge only jav, interesting and my Scutarii are now 4s too. We both ahd such elite forces that we broke on 4 dead units!

Alexander after a certain date auto-attacks (that's a change in the lists that snuck through), so Alex had the drop on the terrain choices, and we ended up on a featureless plain. Did not matter, I kept three reds from my nine scouting cards!  I get 140%, Mark gets 50%. I put my feet up for five minutes as Mark deployed all bar one of his units.

We did both opt for a terrain piece each, which had NO effect on the game at all. Mark stacked his pikes (one of which was superior, in the centre while his cavalry (included downgraded to superior agema) took the flanks, as is traditional. On my left were my Numidian cavalry and my recently gifted celtic light horse (Gareth, they are beautiful, thank you). On my right, an average legion and a superior were stacked behind each other purely because I mismeasured my deployment space and could not have deployed the rear unit legally. Thankfull, being drilled means they are super mobile and don't need many cards to get where I wanted them! My Gauls and Spaniards sit to their left, and then a wall of legionaries with my second superior unit and my exceptionals firmly in the centre. Yes, my camp is a copy of The Gallic War, which is almost exactly a camp size, average, fortified, come and get it!

Straight away I espied an easy kill, with the Pomeronii flexible lancers in skirmish, my Gallic light horse with cantabrian swooped in and on skilled shooting, one base at short range, unleashed greens and yellows on him, killing a base and a half in one shot!

My superiors on the left met a general supported companion regiment, and despite teh initial lancer clash, cane out slightly ahed. My exceptionals vvs 6 superior pikes were having a tough time, while average legions to their right were suffering badly against the numerically superior, but just as good, pikes of the Macedonians. The death of Polio!

It was a cagy game, lots of over thinking by both of us, and the battle was joined all the way along the line! My Gauls and Spaniards sensibly waited back on teh right for the legions to get involved, thankfully the six of archers was not hurting them too badly.


Pomeronii die under a hail of Gallic javelin fire (2-0). leaving the backfield open.

Mark's dead pile! My superior legion polishes off the lancers (4-0), the Numidians watch on gleefully.

In the centre, my X legion holds on by its fingertips, as do two average legions under the generalship of Marcus Antonius, an able ally who are struggling against the pikes (4-0).

On the right, Mark's Greek cavalry charges and retires, then charges again only to be met by both the legion and the Gauls. His elite agema, powered by Alexander himself, crashes into a superior legion, and actually comes off the worse! Down to two bases, it beats the retreat.

One of my average legions disintegrates under the weight of the pike phalanx (4-2), and we played through one more round of combat, as my gallic cavalry shot a skirmisher unit to pieces (5-2)

We established that if we had played on, my blue legion would have tracked down and killed the Agema, the Greek cavalry would have been worn down, but my three average legions would have collapsed too, giving Mark a well deserved 8-15 win. Great game, really made us both think hard 

We are both off to redraft our lists and try again next week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Another Grenadier 1984 from Brian's collection - possible Flesh Golem? Pants! Quick job, but fun   TT Combat Halfling adventuers, a barbarian, a fighter, a ranger (with squirrel), a mage, and a bard (with bagpipes) Rough bunch Distancing themselves from the Bard! Fireball!   Really random. Converted GW 1990s halfling on a Ral Patha sheep - a ram raider! There are quite a few more of these to do, but this one fell off the lead pile while I was looking for something else. He will become part of a Dragoon Rampant units I suspect Back view Charge!  

Legion Imperialis 8mm - Civitas ruins boxed set.

Terrain box (Civitas ruins) painted up Honestly took me longer to build it than it did to paint! But there may be a reason for that Someone needs a word with their structural surveyor! I mean, the build quality here is awful. At least the marines will have somewhere to hide It's about an A3 of ruined stuff It's been trashed Comes with a lot of scatter  The rest of the club was doing it, so I had to do it!  Looking through the various Legions from the Horus Herasy, I decided... Nope. Don't like them. Stick to what you know. 'Stick 'Em In The Eye - It's the Emperor's Pointy Sticks' So, seven years after I painted the 'Emperor's Pointy Sticks' in 6mm, GW have released Legion Imperialis in 8mm. Marine booster pack painted up, group photos! Mixed bag About 100 extra points on table!  "Did I miss the photoshoot?" *FACEPALM* These are the ones I've be

6mm Pony Wars commission for a friend.

Friend asked me to do his Pony Wars kit now that Baccus have taken it over.  Painted quite a lot of dismounted native foot too! Top view Singles Why is there a Squeeze song going through my head. Sneaking up on the cavalry Back view Heading out Pairs The Indians send signals from the rocks above the pass The cowboys take position in the bushes and the grass The squaw is with the corporal, she is tied against the tree She doesn't mind the language, it's the beating she don't need Threes She lets loose all the horses when the corporal is asleep And he wakes to find the fire's dead and arrows in his hats Or something like that Here we go Sixes Top view Left view Snipping or sniping 8s Lefts Backs Right Missed two bases of US cavalry Going that way Ready to go Scouting This is going to end badly for the cavalry   [img]https://i.imgur.com/k1iK9pV.jpg[/img] Mounted US troopers for Keith. The pairs Top view Off they go. Player