Skip to main content

Three Mortiem et Gloriam Games at RayFest 2 - 8th August 2020 - Game 2

I only took photos for the first half of this game, sorry!

In the boiling heat of the desert of South Cheam, six intrepid generals gathered in a socially distant and cooperative manner in Ray's garden, under the shelter of gazebos, to play MeG while sharing nothing but good humour, heatstroke, three decks of cards (wiped down between games) and hand sanitiser.

All the rounds were based on delayed/postponed or defunct competitions from our time in lockdown.
Round 1: Far East: Gupta Indian vs Senguko Samurai - Rollcall Theme - Richard
Round 2: Classical: Thracian Lowland Tribes vs Sassanid Persians - Attack Theme - Ray
Round 3: Egyptian: Early Fatamid Egyptians vs Saitic Egyptians - Campaign Theme - Nik

This was a three round event, each round with a different theme and requirement. Looking at the draw, I had Richard, Ray and Nik, all of whom I have never bested in combat, so my hopes of an out-right win were slim, but I knew I could have a lot of fun!

Round 2: Mid Sassanid Persians vs Thracians

After Round 1 and my unforseen victory ve Richard. Round 2 was Ray, and his dreaded Thracians. I had met them before at Christmas, and it had not gone well! Ray was our host and as lunch appeared we finished deploying our forces, tasty it was too. 

I had secured the plains and my mounted army was ready to roll. Terrain was one large, flat-topped hill and a wood, that Ray convieneitly deforested!

The heat was about the same as Persia in mid summer too. Ray outscouted me, as he had seven cavalry units comapred to my 8! Oh , and a whole heap of infantry. I chose to deploy in three bodies, my superiors on the right wing, my catafracts in the centre and everything else on the left, with poor spears guarding my camp!

My turn 1 cards. Utter pants! This is an army that needs speed and manouverability, and with these cards I could hardly even go in a staright line!

There's an awful lot of them out there!

Cards under card holder as high country thermals built around the tent (it was at least six foot higher than the bottom of the garden)!

By the end of turn 1, it was pretty evident this was going to be a HARD fight, as I could not react to Ray's hordes. I did cause wounds and slows with shooting on turn 2.

My cinc's cards for turn 2! Seriously, it did not get better... B y the end of turn 2 Ray was ready to flank me, with INFANTRY! Thankfully I could run away from that one.

My lack of cards means I am having to react rather than lead, I peeled off one Asvaran to threaten Ray's foot and cavalry, while my skirmishers are threatened by Ray's own light horse.

I did manage to push his cavalry far back, but needed something to turn to face him with!

Ray's cavalry mullers my superiors (both superior, both short spear, both failing to deliver against equal opponents) on the charge.

This results in a break each! (2-2) I got lucky here and even killed his general. Maybe I could swing this one?

Ray turns his peltasts to face in the wood, and charges my catafracts in the flank! Ouch! Skull and a wound on the way in.

On the left, his light horse try to take on mine and shockingly, mine win! (3-2) However, my other two units of cavalry are in BIG trouble as melee expert infantry start carving me into horse stakes.

Despite my light horse's best efforts to assist, my two average cavalry break at the same time (3-6)

My superiors do turn about and get a rear charge into Ray's beaten up (4/6 left) cavalry, and manage to miss completely on red & yellow followed by red and green. This should have been an easy scalp! Humph! (Oh well, it's a game of skill)

From here, I did not take any more photos of this game, as it was so busy and hot I forgot! Sorry.

I broke away from the horse and Ray caught me from behind and squashed them (3-8).

I caught one of his other cavalry in a three way pincer (5-8) and caught and killed a warrior unit with catafracts (7-8) who then squashed another (9-8), but Ray's warriors took on my heavily armoured horse, and beat them (9-15), breaking my army. 

 Top game, utterly exhausting and made me think, mostly, that one day I will beat Ray! Ray said he had struggled to think of a way to beat me, in the end, my lack of decent cards beat myself. I could not get my cavalry horses to manouver, and my catafracts got bogged down chasing cavalry then infantry, it should hae been the other way round, silly idea really!. Back to the drawing board there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

Aliens - more eggs, equipments.

+++Further transmissions received+++ Final set of bits from Assests and Hazards for Aliens, including four eggs. Eight more cases. Top view Three more terminals Classic beige Couldn't help myself - electric dreams!   +++Transmition received+++ What weird eggs are these? And one is already open, which means... Hold on, I'll just check the database... Errr, guys... There's a lot of blips... Another twelve of them! I've got them on monitor... They've breached the wall... They're coming this way! We can't stop them! +++Transmition ends+++   Four more crates. Because...   A few extra bits of usefullness to run the game next week. The stuff of nightmares, a pair of facehuggers! Really nasty idea Leaping to capture new victims Eeep! A pair of high tech computer terminals Living in electric dreams... Sure my Uni had these as high tech in t

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25