Skip to main content

A game and a half of MeG round at Andy's house.

Yesterday saw me trotting round to Andy's for a game and a half of MeG.

Game one was my 10mm Imperial Romans vs his 15mm Early Franks in an historical match-up somewhere along the Rhine frontier. Game 2 was a trial of my 15mm Hausa vs his 15mm Karim-Bornu (made up of proxied Mycenians, Assyrians, Greeks and Macedonians, but at least his were painted), another historical match up!

Warm mince pies, yummy! Very dense terrain with a coastline, nothing came off.

Roman informants did a good job, allowing us to outscout the Franks by 50%, hold on, that village isn't very Germanic...

My first hand. Good thing I have no allies!

My two cavalry surge forwards to take a strong blocking point in an effort to stop Andy's horse (my force is so small that if those lot get into my backfield I'm in deep trouble).

After turn 1 and my forces are rather spread about compared to a wall of short spear, devastating spear barbarians, some of which are superior fanatics too! 

Yes, them's the one officer, flanked by two average short spear dev chargers (+3 on impact, help)!

Gulp!

 Andy sends his skirmishers forward into the forest, and behind them three more units of rock hard warriors approach.

'Come on then!'

My unskilled javelins actually do something! 

 However, I lost two stands in quick succession. I brought up a legion to cover the inevitable gap (because, as all wargamers know, unsupported Late Roman cavalry never, ever, work).

His other cavalry hang back, fearful of the damage my superiors might cause. If those warband types come through that wood, I'm really sunk. On the left, the two battle lines form up, waiting, watching. 

Multiple impacts! Brace! Brace! Brace! Two units of superiors on +4, three average on +3. My front line is Superior, Exceptional, Superior, so should do okay.
The unit behind is average, so is down...

OUCH! Four stands killed (his first roll was a skull, it really hurt as it gives him +2, so +6 for superiors, +5 for average!

However, nothing broke, so onto melee, where I had a significant advantage, (superior melee experts +2, exceptionals +3, average +1). 

My average cavalry failed to keep the franks at bay, who slammed into my superiors. Ouch (0-2 to Andy)

Back in the centre, my averages are still holding, and have expanded into a second unit to hold the flank, they are dieing hard, and also Andy kept missing!  In the centre, the attrition Andy wanted did not happen quickly enough, and my veteran combat psychos were soon causing massive damage. On the right, what was really worrying me was the slow approach of two units of dev chargers vs my average legions.

The Frankish centre collapses under the combined killing power of three legio. (8-2) Even superior fanatics who have to die to a man, obligingly did.

That's a big hole in the centre there (10-2) my average legion that started on 6 continues to hold out vs 12 warband types, half of which are superiors.
 

My superior cavalry types break through, and just miss out on the second Frankish cavalry unit (15-2).

And with that, victory was mine (muhahaha), if Andy had unleashed these three warband units earlier, I would have easily lost two legio and a bow unit, and then possibly the game.

Top game, pizza and reset. On the African plains, Kanem - Bornu are outscouted by 60%. Oh, now the village make s sense!! Lots of scrub on the flanks, and a tributary of the Yedseram River.

Andy's list, it's actually a bit tasty!

Deployment and biscuits. Hausa on table at last! I decided I really did not want to tangle with his guard infantry, so split my forces, infantry to take the village and stall his line, my cavalry to try and deal with his (hold on, he gets melee expert cavalry, no fair!) my camels were on flank duties through the scrub (which they ignore, the biscuits may be more of a challenge.) Yes, I know my army is mostly unpainted...

A much better first hand, and my camel corps was reliable!

Two straight lines, as Barker intended. Charges go in, and my cavalry and light horse try to evade on the right.

This is turn 2, and already I've naffed this up.I rolled a 1 to evade with my light horse, even on running away, so -2 move, starting at 1BW away, means they run 4 BW, so end up exactly 5BW away, and charging cavalry, which my shooting had failed to slow, moved exactly 5BW too...
That's a lost unit, turn 2 (0-1). Oh yeah, note the attached general. He has to take a Kill A Base roll. Mediocre general, rolled a skull. That's got to be the quickest general death ever!

After the melee, the superior, melee experts, cavalry had burst through the unprotected, combat shy, bows! Yeah, not surprising when that's a legendary general in the mix too.

This means they dodged the superior long spears that were lined up for a flank charge, and only advanced 2BW, meaning much fun was to be had...

The general situation on turn 3, as I move my spear armed bowmen on the left move towards the other bows, while my spears wait for an inevitable smacking by the much more numerous Andy's spears. On the right, Andy's guard cavalry and another unit of cavalry lie with their flanks exposed to my superior camels. My superior cavalry also had an arc on the engaged cavalry too.
 A close up of the very scene, whereupon the doom of Andy's cavalry is revealed.

The final possible charges, it was about to get very messy, but I was summoned home by the Amazing Mrs Denham. (4-3, but was about to be 11-5).


Fantastic day's gaming, thank you Andy for the games. Looks like we have both found fun lists here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

Aliens - more eggs, equipments.

+++Further transmissions received+++ Final set of bits from Assests and Hazards for Aliens, including four eggs. Eight more cases. Top view Three more terminals Classic beige Couldn't help myself - electric dreams!   +++Transmition received+++ What weird eggs are these? And one is already open, which means... Hold on, I'll just check the database... Errr, guys... There's a lot of blips... Another twelve of them! I've got them on monitor... They've breached the wall... They're coming this way! We can't stop them! +++Transmition ends+++   Four more crates. Because...   A few extra bits of usefullness to run the game next week. The stuff of nightmares, a pair of facehuggers! Really nasty idea Leaping to capture new victims Eeep! A pair of high tech computer terminals Living in electric dreams... Sure my Uni had these as high tech in t

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25