Skip to main content

Time Of Inadequate Lighting, MeG event report

Last weekend, twenty of us trooped up (from Bournemouth or Kent) or down (from Perth) or across (from Brussels) to Derby. It should have been 22, but Lee and Nick O were unfortunately indisposed.

The event was held by Manny and Rob at the amazing and well catered Boards and Swords gaming shop for our Dark Aged them event..

What follows is a rather patchy set of photos, as I was running the event and also trying not to get slaughtered by all comers!

The Runners and Riders, Lee had to pull out and was replaced at the last minute by Hunter Hope with his hordes of Khawarji.

For those of us who need a visual.

The first round draw, without Lee, Means my historically and geographically (in)accurate first round draw went out the window!!!
As there were no table numbers, the slot was used for my whim of descriptive draw labels.

My list, if anyone is so desperate as to copy it!

Hunter and I deploy, two straight lines, as Barker intended! My ally was deciding whether he was going to fight...

The three other downstairs game, there were seven more games upstairs too! Nice hat Cid. (My ally did decide to play after all, in fact, he behaved himself all weekend).

My cards the next turn, boy they were good!

Hunter's swarm approaches. Two piles of stodge about to slam into each other.

See how his masses of cavalry turns me to destroy me.

It all falls apart on the right, while I try and do some damage in the centre.

I did not take many more photos after this, as I was in shock at the mullering Hunter handed me (despite his massive sleep deprivation from driving down from Perth at 2am). A 4-15 loss, but an honsetly faboulous game. I will beat him one year! ;)
Round 1 results, and I'm already languishing..


 Game 2 vs Jeremy with Charlemagne Carolingian, a list with exceptionals and a legendary general, that is going to hurt! The terrain fell well, and I was able to hold out against the massively better quality by some severe anchoring.

Cid looking pensive.

Not much room for Carolingians here! My Vikings on the right go hunting cavalry (superior, 2-handed-cut and crush, vs cavalry, oh yes please).

That's a hand and a half...

 Pushing the elite Carolingian back, as a new hand is dealt.

Jez's infantry and cavalry smashes into my line. Everyone brace! The exceptionals, led by their legend would come through the village on the left, breaking my flank, but it was too little, too late!
The centre was telling, and after catching Jeremy's cavalry, I manged a 15-4 win!
After 2 rounds I was 19 points for, and 19 points against, excellent mediocrity there Mr Lemmey!

We hate people who talk about themselves in the third person, don't we my precious!

 After Round 2, the results looked like this, dragged myself up to exactly middle:


Sunday dawned, after a drive there and back, and one of Jo's lovely home cooked curry.
The draw for round 3 was looking interesting.


Game 3 vs Dr Simon Elliot and his Sassanid Persians with Dalamite allies.
Last time I had met this list it had run me over rather emphatically at Warfare last year.

My foot army out scouts a mounted force!

This was going to be a fun game, Simon's Dali-Llama headed for the safety of the woods as my lancers and cavalry ominously threatened him. Note Simon's army looks a little small...

The incredible skulk! My two light horse units concentrated firepower on the unit of Die Lemurs that had realises the wood was a bit small for everyone. Elephants close on my Vikings. My close order foot consider the merits of dieing pointlessly in a wood (close order foot in bad terrain gets a major minus, the Dial Lemons are flexible, so in loose order, they don't care)..

The reason for Simon's conservative approach was this, he had bet on a flank march with a large body of cavalry. I had to do the damage before these guys arrived.

On my right, massed superior bow armed cavalry spends the game turning two of my Viking hirdmen units into pin cushions.

Simon carefully set up a flank charge, but I held the cards so was able to charge first, into his flank. Look how effectively I can roll a red and green dice.

Soon, the elephants charged my huscarls, and I got them! Then a unit of cavalry and many deli-lemmings perished. I had even shot down one unit and his skirmishers with my light horse.
The flank march, I managed to hold 4 of the red cards needed (I even spent them twice and got them back). Somehow, I had managed to scrape a 15-10 win against one of the best players around.
Even if he was threatening my camp...

 Going into Round 4, things at the top were seriously tight. No one was having a stand out, perfect weekend. The top 10 all had two wins and could win it from this round. (Hunter and John Monroe having stared each other out 2-4 and had kind of blown their chances).
 Due to people playing each other in earlier rounds I was playing Cid and his Normans (well, actually, the Norman's were Robins, he's never had much luck with them, but Cid appears to have them worked out).

The War Doctor vs Stephen Stead on the top table last round, both had victory within their grasp, but they drew 4 all and let it slip away.

My allied Viking really want to deal with the Norman threat, thankfully.

I saw a gap, and hoped to plug it with Viking and cavalry, but stupidly, I sent my knights after Cid's Breton horse, allowing him to flank me. Oh well.

A something very pleasingly about the shape of that hand. The lump of terrain in front of my foot is soon to be removed from the rules 'magic' terrain, terrain that does not effect cavalry, but disorders close foot. So I avoided it. 

My knights fall apart, and Cid proceeds to pull the rest of my army to pieces. Man he's good!
I had achieved 4 points against Cid in a superb game, so my weekend had a very pleasing symmetry of 4-15-15-4.

The final results. I'm well below half way there, Hammy pulled a blinder and won. Nearly everyone had two wins in the top 3/4 of the table, it really was down to the points scored in the other games!

 A great weekend, and much fun was had by all. Four great games. Here's to next time.

Comments

  1. Thanks Will for a ton of work to get that done. Some impressive armies there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

Aliens - more eggs, equipments.

+++Further transmissions received+++ Final set of bits from Assests and Hazards for Aliens, including four eggs. Eight more cases. Top view Three more terminals Classic beige Couldn't help myself - electric dreams!   +++Transmition received+++ What weird eggs are these? And one is already open, which means... Hold on, I'll just check the database... Errr, guys... There's a lot of blips... Another twelve of them! I've got them on monitor... They've breached the wall... They're coming this way! We can't stop them! +++Transmition ends+++   Four more crates. Because...   A few extra bits of usefullness to run the game next week. The stuff of nightmares, a pair of facehuggers! Really nasty idea Leaping to capture new victims Eeep! A pair of high tech computer terminals Living in electric dreams... Sure my Uni had these as high tech in t

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25