Skip to main content

Mitanni vs Mycenians MeG 10mm

Mark and I, after a slight postponement, got our chariot period MeG armies on table tonight.
My Mitanni vs Mark's Mycenians, all 10mm, all Magister Militum, it's the way forwards...
The chariot period in MeG at the moment is a real scissors-paper-stone match up, with shooty skilled chariots (Egyptians/Hittites/Mitanni) vs Solid foot (Mycenians and Early Hopilties) vs Hordes (Nubians/Libyans). Mark's Mycenians technically are the better army, a real stone list vs my paper thin one trick ponies. Mark comes with long spear, shield cover and integral archers, I come with a mounted and shooty chariot force!
Well, nearer scissors-paper-stone-lizard-Spock really, there are a couple of other chariot lists that can be deadly...

Mark dominated the terrain with a well rolled strategic intercept, so chose to attack on my coastline. He also dragged the terrain into the plains, which was not great for my infantry (as they are all loose foot, which suffer against his chariot, battle chariots and close spears). Thankfully, a wood landed well, and I could use it to feed my three foot units through. Thanks to Pete for lending us his lovely Deep Cut desert mat too, set the game off a treat!

Mark deployed in three main blocks, and I deployed to avoid his massive centre of spears. Why, because I've got nothing there that can deal with him.
Early evening sunshine in Stoney Stratford.

Two of his TuGs of spears advance, while my chariots try to find a way around. Here are my 4 vassal chariot units, wondering quite what they have got themselves into! 4 x 4s of chariots is brittle, this was touch-and-go.
Image result for touch and go schlock

Mark only had one rough terrain unit, so he could either come and get me, or I could come out and face many chariots.
Nice wod, we'll stay here for a bit!

Mark moves his centre up to try to block me off, and brings forwards his battle chariots to oppose my massed cavalry block on the right. On my right, Mark and I pin each other spears vs chariots.

I push past him to try to keep him occupied, while his centre swings to pin me. Honestly no idea how to beat this horde.

He tries to charge me, and I turn his spears into a pin cushion (except we got this wrong, he only lost one base, they regenerated seconds later).

Mark, bulging in the middle (although he has lost weight), as I begin the chariot dance.

One unit of average chariots slaps into the right hand tribal archer unit of Mark's, Yellow vs White, yummy!

Next door, light chariots vs light chariots, it's exactly even, even down to the losses, and generals in combat.

But we are not alone, how will this play out?

0-2 as Mark losses a unit of battle chariots that had taken on two units of Superior Mitanni light chariots. He was up on trhe charge (+3), but I weathere'ed the storm, even causing a kill, but in teh following melee, we were exactly equal, and I killed him before he could get me.
My superior chariots pile into the ordinary average chariots supporting behind. Note the KaB results on the surrounding units as a tightly packed army look son and thinks 'err.. that wasn't meant to happen'.

Crashing into those supporting average chariots, straight away the superiors cause huge losses.

Well, they didn't last long, his 4 of averages breaks and the remains on my superior 6 is now in the flank of one of Mark's spears (0-4). Spears are brilliant frontally vs chariots, but caught in the flank and they are in trouble!

That much trouble in fact! From one base in impact, a red and yellow that has double skulled, it was on a +6 mind (+1 superior, +1 short spear on the charge, +4 for being in a flank). Plus a wound for seeing their neighbouring chariots evaporate, 3 bases out of 6 gone already.
Please note, this is NOT my usual luck, I have just got extremly lucky!

Meanwhile my other chariots shoot well, but not as well as Mark's archers, who shoot off a base of superiors.

Mark, finally, has a success. On the left he shatters a unit of average chariots (4-2), but my general escapes injury after dropping his cards.

Back on the right, Mark reacts to my chariot breakthrough, swinging his spears in to face me, but I break them on the first die roll. (6-2) The pursuit takes me out of flank charge range of his battle chariots, much to my superior's relief!
On the hill, my spear armed archers are contacted by his chariots, and although down at impact, only lose one base.

Back on the left, Mark pursues into my other chariots, and I'm still plugging away at his archers, while I pin the spears on the left, who hunker down behind their shield cover.

On the hill, I cause enough wounds to be within a whisker of smashing Mark's other chariots and my superior chariots disappear off after the fleeing spears. My wounded chariots, picked up the CinC, pull back to avoid Mark's central block and their shooting power.

FINALLY, I break Mark's archers (10-2), although my 4 is now within a hit of breaking themselves too.

Our other chariots still plug away at each other, Mark, general in combat, had not been able to get his spears to turn to flank me, otherwise he would have minced my unit there!

His remaining battle chariots were 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001mm from hitting my superior chariots, who had turned to face, ready for the inevitable.

Mark's chariots break (12-2) and my spears and chariots are teed up to envelop Mark's remaining spears from that flank. They had already taken a loss from KaBs, so were feeling brittle. At this point we finished. Mark was unlikely to take any of my units now, and despite being massive, was only one unit away from breaking and had several units that were in danger, final score 12-4. 10 point max for draw, even though I had already killed 6 units, and +2 for CinC surviving, 4 for Mark for killing a unit, and CinC surviving.

A cracking game, Mark had had a rough week at work (too busy, and not enough staff for him), so we called it there.
Mittani vs Mycenians, a hard match up. I would have taken a more dense terrain to protect flanks, and then massed the spears, using the chariots to counter-punch, but my luck was definitely riding high.

Meanwhile, beyond the wall, The Night's Watch takes on the Wildlings in a Game of Thrones.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

Aliens - more eggs, equipments.

+++Further transmissions received+++ Final set of bits from Assests and Hazards for Aliens, including four eggs. Eight more cases. Top view Three more terminals Classic beige Couldn't help myself - electric dreams!   +++Transmition received+++ What weird eggs are these? And one is already open, which means... Hold on, I'll just check the database... Errr, guys... There's a lot of blips... Another twelve of them! I've got them on monitor... They've breached the wall... They're coming this way! We can't stop them! +++Transmition ends+++   Four more crates. Because...   A few extra bits of usefullness to run the game next week. The stuff of nightmares, a pair of facehuggers! Really nasty idea Leaping to capture new victims Eeep! A pair of high tech computer terminals Living in electric dreams... Sure my Uni had these as high tech in t

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25