Skip to main content

Mortiem et Gloriam 10mm Tudor English vs Paul's 15mm (Censored)

Image result for henry viii cartoon

A warm up game for Skullrollers at the end of this month. I was using my Tudor English, as I thought it would give Paul a challenge, and partly because I haven't used it in ages. The list is... not good. It has 5 heavy hitting units, but they can only be in 4 bases, so to use it will be a real issue, especially against a player as good as Paul. I chose to invade with a strategic intercept, led by Henry VIII himself.

The list is below.


 The table, the jelly babies are in a wood by the way! Paul's army fills the gap, perfectly.


I decided to try to bring in my line and pinch point the spears and pikes in the middle of Paul's line.

The two lines close on each other quickly. My bows, lower left, contract. My artillery has a lovely fire lane past my pike block too! My three knight blocks line up on Paul's left hand units. pikes are perfectly aligned and bills look on at lots of Paul's spears.

Henry and the Duke of Suffolk join the Yeoman of the Guard as the line of Paul-ness approaches.

Lining up on some juicy targets, protected knights vs crossbows, average -/fa vs Paul's foot; knights of the Royal Household waiting to see what target tempts them.

In the centre, the two pike blocks line up, obviously they know each other. Bill.en line up vs long spears, a fairly even match, plus a unit of 2-handed-cut-and-crush-heavily-armoured-melee-experts (only average), also line up, wondering whether 4 of them is enough to take on 8 bases of spear!

End of impact, more damage spears around than Tunguska! My left hand knights suffered against crossbows on the way in, the rest the damage was fairly evenly spread. Paul at this point was already planning my demise with his masses of reserves. My household knights joined in charging down a short spear unit, life is good.

Bases fall fast on the right, Paul is more or less even or up on me along this whole line, especially vs my unprotected Welsh spears in the wood (a holding action or suicide charge?).

The knights break through Paul's line, however he's only got three supporting units that are bigger and better than me out there.

It's all getting a bit tight, good thing Paul only rolled a 1 (-2 run away distance) and I didn't get to be swamped by him. (2-0)
On the left, my protected knights are in trouble against the crossbows they are 3 up against! This is the issue with units in 4s.

Paul angles himself for a flank charge, long spears vs cavalry, in the flank. Ooh sir, suit you sir!

THUNK! Only one wound, oh Paul!

And the crossbow smash my knights. Death stalks the land.

And one of my retinue foot (only 4 remember, so five black dice break you), legs it! (0-4) Death is busy...

Bit blurry, but I broke off the superior knights, and the rest of the line gets busy. Paul's spear's s'mash into my bows who had been happily picking off his spear bases as they passed him..

My Yeoman of The Guard and a unit of bills smash through Paul's spears, I'm not going down empty handed! (4-4) Even Henry gets involved.

My cavalry commander sprints over to join the bows (not his command, but being professional helps), and some how, they break the infinitely better spears (6-4).

My bows meet his spears that had previously tangled with my superior lancers. Again, a dodgy fight for me.

Can anyone else see the flank charges here? Another break against Paul (8-4)

In the wood, my Welsh light spears, despite being on their break point, hold, and hold, and hold, and...

We had taken another spear unit, but had lost the Yeomen of the Guard (10-6), and the neighbouring Bills were also severely beaten up. The Pikes, despite everyone else evaporating around them, on both sides, continue to fight each other, both pikes, both average, both Dutch.  (10-8) We know what is really going on here!

In the far distance, my knights continue to battle against Paul's, having started with 4 bases plays 6, and I'm still there!

No I'm not! Off they break, but we did kill another knight! (8-8)

But that also causes a KaB on my Household knight, and that is game over. (10-15)

Fabulous game, but this is NOT a good list! All the fours make it too brittle, the 8s of Billmen did give it a certain punch, but this is a list where if you need to make kills, you HAVE to double team your opponent.

All in all, a good game, I had Paul thinking, hard, and was still able to claw 10 points out of it, but not a winning army.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

Aliens - more eggs, equipments.

+++Further transmissions received+++ Final set of bits from Assests and Hazards for Aliens, including four eggs. Eight more cases. Top view Three more terminals Classic beige Couldn't help myself - electric dreams!   +++Transmition received+++ What weird eggs are these? And one is already open, which means... Hold on, I'll just check the database... Errr, guys... There's a lot of blips... Another twelve of them! I've got them on monitor... They've breached the wall... They're coming this way! We can't stop them! +++Transmition ends+++   Four more crates. Because...   A few extra bits of usefullness to run the game next week. The stuff of nightmares, a pair of facehuggers! Really nasty idea Leaping to capture new victims Eeep! A pair of high tech computer terminals Living in electric dreams... Sure my Uni had these as high tech in t

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25