Skip to main content

Rollcall 2019 - MeG Eastern Themed Tournement - My Senguko Samurai did good!


 Rollcall, Cranfield, 2019. A four game weekend of Mortiem et Gloriam, 15 minutes up the road.
The theme, Eastern armies, and there were 22 of us! What's not to love?
Who knew there were that many Eastern armies out there...

Here's the official round 1 Runners and Riders, sorry this one is a naff phone screen capture! The vast majority of these shots were snatched in the heart of the action, and occasionally blurry. Also, as some games got tense, I forgot to take photos, sorry!
Matthew Poole and Malay for me, interesting!
My list, basically unchanged from Warfare 2017, Campaign 2018 and Skull Rollers 2018. This is my default list, and you're all welcome to use it!
 The army has an absolutely solid core of spears, two units of foot archers, one amazing, the other... Well, you'll see! ;) It also has two amazing units of cavalry. Each base costing 314 points, that's more than some people's units! It makes a deadly strike force, I just wish it was bigger, sixes would be awesome!

 So, game one, vs Matthew's Malay. Never fought it before. In fact, never seen it before!
 The terrain, very dense jungle (most terrain was lost to the secure flank on the right). All this terrain went down and then I did point out to Matthew that all my troops were either Loose of Flexible, and terrain did not bother me! His face fell rather...
My initial deployment, my village fell well, slap in the middle, a forest protected my flanks, and three ambush markers were out.
On ambushes, in MeG they are great, they allow you to deploy forwards of your deployment area, and you get to see more of your opponent's army. However, if you choose badly, you will end up with troops in the wrong place!


On another table, Roger Pitfield deploys 15 bases of elephants, plus elephant general, with two nellies per bases. Richard had 6, and I'm surprised the table didn't collapse under the weight of lead!
"With a THOUSAND ELEPHANTS!"

Welcome to the Jungle!  Matthew's army consorted of 8 elephants (plus four elephant generals), and hordes and hordes of shield cover, melee expert loose unprotected foot. And one unit of superior cavalry...

Oh, he's got 'Fleet of Foot' too, which means his foot move at 4BW a turn. Yoiks!! In the village my average bows spring their ambush, defending the Bitsa Wispa!

Swimming round this impassable obstacle is my two units of superior cavalry face down elephants, bows and Matthew's superior cavalry. 8 bases vs 14. I'm outnumbered, but I massively outclass him there. As long as I avoid the nellies, I will be okay, maybe.

Matthew approached, and this was my first shot with my powerbow armed samurai. (It was only after I remembered he was unprotected and should have rolled 3 x yellows, oh well!) Each green die has 1 skull, so this is the equivalent of 3 x 6 on a 6 sided dice, in one roll.
Today is going to be a good day!

Over on the left, one samurai cavalry avoids the nellies, like crazy, a +4 charge is not pleasant, but behind the trunkies, I charge down his bows. Where are his cavalry? Well, they had already lost to my cavalry (hence the wide formation and missing base), but had beaten up my horse, which is why the two bases are avoiding those elephants..

Back in the centre, my two units of allied spears died to a flank charge, plus elephants, plus warriors, yeah, it was weight of numbers! However, if you look left, I blew through two more units of his warriors (I had also caught a unit of skirmishers with a charge, always a bonus). His elephants on the left died shortly after, which brings up an awful lot of RED KaBs (Kill a Base tests are aways one worse when an elephant dies near you).

Talking of KaBs for dead elephants, Matthew tried to charge my damaged cavalry again with his other elephants (and the one in the back is a general), but was shot down (not these dice). 
 Hell of a game, we timed out at 12-6, it was a lot closer than it looks, his foot were starting to chew mine up and my flanks were going to be toasted by flank charges.

Game 2: Adrian Pitfield and Later Nomadic Mongol
Adrian and I had met at Derventio II, and he has obviously learnt a lot since that game. He chose to ambush AND flank march! Lots and lots of on table cavalry, all bar a few superiors, all bar a few skilled bows. My samurai, a largly foot army could have been in real trouble! 
We join the action on turn 2, after I remembered to pick up my camera (oops). Again a forest secures my flanks, and those figures heading off into the distance, they are my allies walking straight towards his camp while pushing back his light horse (1700+ points to deal with a grand total of about 500 there)! My cavalry is taking wounds from shooting, but so is his! More importantly, a flank march had appeared on my right, it had ridden straight past my cam (average and he forgot to charge it for 3 turns) and was going to cause me issues.Thankfully, drilled Ashugaru are dead cheap to turn around, and with a general formed Samurai aren't that expensive either!

And this is what happens when superior long spear and general hit cavalry with an overlap...

At the death, we are both attacking each other's camps (yes, I get there with infantry). HE caused 1 1/2 bases of damage to me, I nearly broke his! Powerbow armed infantry and cavalry were tearing huge lumps out of his cavalry. I had lost a unit of Ashugaru, and had broken him. 15-2.

This left me on 27 points, coming into the third round and the second day in fourth, I was drawn against the great 'War Doctor' David Parish. The problem with playing the Doctor is he is such a nice guy, you spend most of the game in fits of giggles.
I had faced this army at Campaign last year, and had come off worst against it, so this time I needed to play cleaver, especially if we knew the result of either of us getting a decent result was to have to play Alasdair, the undisputed champion of the world (or MeG anyway). We did briefly discuss taking each other down 12-12 and letting someone else take the fall...

The table. Look, two Samurai villages, these Chinese are in our spot!  David's army is beautiful, and such colourful fun. He also took an ally, allowing him to basically take 1 of every troop type! War wagons, check! elephants (superior), check! Skilled bows, check! Decent cavalry, check! Artillery, check! Crossbow armed units, with a bloke with a cut and cruch weapon, AND attached artillery, check! Tribal foot, check! Angy cattle with explosives tied to their side... are you kidding me, of course he has! Why wouldn't you take a unit like that, it's insane!! It was also HUGE! Breaking it before he got me, maybe...

 My standard deployment (oh look, another forest), two ambushes left (archer and cavalry) dummy right (come on, I've used this same trick for two years now with this army, you must all know it by now?).

Dave's army in all it's glory.
Egads, it's impressive!

 This wall of war wagons, purposely positioned to take on my cavalry and deny a flank, it's like he's played me before! Backed up by oxen, spears, cannon and elephants. Yeah...

That's a LOT of firepower there (even his elephants shoot)!

My cavalry appear and move in like TIE interceptors. My powerbow armed foot also countermarched to deal with the expensive flank units coming my way (superior melee expert vs war wagons, let's try it). About this point in time, I was frantically asking our rules expert RJC about various things I could do. You know it's fun and a rare occasion when even he digs into the rules!

The answer is this, it costs a yellow for ANY cavalry to dismount to attack war wagons (meaning you are only on a -2 on impact and a -1 in melee, not -4 at impact or -2 for cavalry in melee). I dismounted one unit of Samurai archers and they carried on on foot to reach the war wagons.
The red dice shows how much their powerbows had slowed his warwagons, and since he only moves 2 BW a turn that was rather useful!

Behind, in a blur of flesh, my mounted samurai  clash into the oxen. This was an almost suicidal move on my part, if I get this wrong, David rolls an 'S' on the die, and it counts as a skull (instant kill). This could hurt.
Good thing I was 3 up...

What could possibly go right?
I killed the oxen in melee, but had lost a base at impact. However, David might have overloaded his barrels with power. Three units were in KaB range. Two took skulls, one took a wound that was enough to also kill a base.

 pies GIF

 That was quite a hole! My cavalry ended up walking around dazed...
After taking losses to crossbows on the way in, my samurai broke the war wagons. Meanwhile, David had charged my superior skilled powerbows with his superior elephants and had lost a basew immediately to skilled bowfire. He had impacted, but it ws not enough, the steely determination of the Japanese warrior elite cut through the poor (superior actually-Ed) nellies.
Meanwhile, to their right, my superior long spears vs short spear armed allies was going rather my way too!
To the far right, I did not have enough cards to withstand 7 units against 4, but I was selling myself dear. Two units of ashugau were catching the arrows of David's skilled archers, crossbows and artillery. Beyond them, my allies were holding up four foot units and a cavalry force. It was a brave and noble action, honest!

After charging me in the rear as I tried to run away, David's elephant damaged cavalry failed to hit! My Samurai cavalry turned around and decked him! It was not pleasant. In the far village, my average, protected bows with attached general were relaxing after dispatching those poor, unprotected, combat shy crossbows. I lost a base in return for 8 of his. It was brutal.
Even his artillery took a Kab for seeing his cavalry break!

Not sure I need all those cards at the moment! My Samurai, pursuing elephants, had crashed into David's allied spears, breaking them too, at which point his gun crews decided that standing on your own, in an open field, surround by blood-thirsty headhunters was not conducive to their long term survival and legged it!
 
David's bows smash into my ashiugaru and then continue into their neighbours. My superior allied unit enjoy meeting and mushing poor foot too.

A relaxing unit of bows survey the scene.

My Samurai cavalry try to take David's camp and it would all be over. Not quite on the charge.

My Allies had done a good job holding up the flank on their own, breaking  a missile armed troop and winning me the game. 15-6.

So, going into round 4, I was ecstatic. A great game against a good competitor who I had finally beaten, now if I was to get lucky, Jason would be playing Alasdair and I could have a great game to finish the weekend.
Except Jason only scored 10 in his third game, meaning he was two points behind me!
I was in second, and was playing arguably the best player around, Alasdair!
Bugger!

Game 4: Alasdair.
A wargaming god, what could I do? He had already chewed up Ade, Paul and Nik, all better players than I (I say chewed, I mean defeated them soundly, but in an utterly gentlemanly type way).

However, the omens hinted of something...
 (Not that it mattered what terrain we had, we were both flexible types).

Forest on the flank, two villages again. Lots of terrain had disappeared off table already, but still enough for me to anchor my front and flanks and put out three ambushes (the right hand one was a dummy and the Post-It did not move all weekend). See those lonely cavalry out right, Alasdair forgot powerbows have a 5BW range! They soon retreated...
The lines advance. My cavalry clashes with his. His warriors (pavaise, short spear, some get unskilled javelins) crash into my bows in the village (who I think were hung over after the last game), but held the line long enough for superior long spears to be brought up in and take down a unit before they themselves left the field.

There was much too-ing and fro-ing. Something miraculous was happening. For every unit Alasdair took of mine, I was claiming one of his! Pity his army has a much higher breakpoint than mine! In this show, we stand at 2 units a piece!

His cavalry try to deal my breakthrough (losing a cavalry unit in the process hurts!

Many flank charges went into my forces as I struggled to do damage, but it wasn't really happening. I was fighting back. This is the deadpool (ignore the skirmishers in the wood) that Alasdair had, At this point, I was actually ahead (having lost four, I broke on 5).

But it was not to be, Alasdair had the deck and chose his fights wisely (he had two more units on the verge of breaking, but too late). 10-15 to the boss!


 I had scored 52 points overall! My best ever total, and with only two actual wins. It was now just a waiting game to see who ended up where out of myself and the gang.


Rollcall 2019
Player Name
Army
Score
Alasdair Harley
Ghurid
60
Jason Broomer
Rashtrakutras & Rajput
55
Will Denham
Sengoku Japanese
52
Anthony Leroy
Wei & later Qiang
47
Laurence Donohoe
Takeda
47
Lance Flint
Ghurid
46
Lee Sanders
Eastern Han
42
Richard Jeffrey-Cook
Gupta
42
Robin Spence
Tuyuhun
41
Simon Elliott
Yuan Chinese & Goryeo Korean
41
Adrian Nash
Eastern Han
37
Peter Simpson
Rajput & Early Tibetan
36
Nicholas Gaukroger
Shatuo & Southern Tang
36
Stephen Stead
Northern Song
35
David Parish
Ming Chinese & Shan Allies
35
Paul Cummins
Joseon Korean
33
Peter Cross
Ming Chinese
32
Bruce Rollett
Northern Song
31
Peter Entwistle
Later Xiongnu
29
Adrian Pitfield
Later Nomadic Mongol
28
Matthew Poole
Malay
26
Roger Pitfield
Champa
22
Nigel Emsen
Joseon Korean
17
Ray Duggins
Silla Korean
N/A

3rd!! 10 points of Alasdair, absolutely ecstatic!
 I even won prizes! A Lurkio miniatures voucher, a copy of 'Pikeman's Lament' rules, a floppy BHGS dice tray, and at least two weeks bragging rights until I get stomped at Campaign on the 11th and 12th May.
I won a trophy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

Aliens - more eggs, equipments.

+++Further transmissions received+++ Final set of bits from Assests and Hazards for Aliens, including four eggs. Eight more cases. Top view Three more terminals Classic beige Couldn't help myself - electric dreams!   +++Transmition received+++ What weird eggs are these? And one is already open, which means... Hold on, I'll just check the database... Errr, guys... There's a lot of blips... Another twelve of them! I've got them on monitor... They've breached the wall... They're coming this way! We can't stop them! +++Transmition ends+++   Four more crates. Because...   A few extra bits of usefullness to run the game next week. The stuff of nightmares, a pair of facehuggers! Really nasty idea Leaping to capture new victims Eeep! A pair of high tech computer terminals Living in electric dreams... Sure my Uni had these as high tech in t

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25