Skip to main content

Mortiem et Gloriam, Sassanid Persians vs Byzantines.


Last night's game, my 10mm Pendraken Sassanids (actually most of the heavy cavalry is from their Later Roman range) unchanged since Derventio (and not out the box since then either), warming up for Meglomaniacs II and then Warfare at Reading, vs Pete's beautifully painted 15mm Byzantines (mostly Essex). Rules are Mortiem et Gloriam, and great fun was had.

Pete kept the terrain where he wanted it (Very dense, coastal) and out scouted me by 90%, even though I was attacking! I had a bad feeling about this...
Dense terrain (three hills failed to appear due to landing on the waterway flank), a challenge for two mounted armies, but you have to learn to fight in the worst of it.

Deploying, three small units of cavalry hold my left, a small unit is centre, some skirmishers hold/loot the village, the bulk of my forces to the right. Not deployed yet are my superior catafracts.

Three units, through a gap big enough for one? Of course it will work! This was what I hoped would be a pinning force.

Pete deployed his army in an almost edge to edge wall, and in two ranks! He had 18 units in his army, 15 TuGs! This meant he neeeded to lose 8 to break him, a huge challenge. My smaller, but harder hitting army broke on 6 losses.

Pete, beautifully done! I did try to explain that infantry and cavalry cannot group move together, oh well!

I tried filtering through the gaps around the wood, but my cards, even with a floating talented genera supplying as many decent cards as possible, were not as good as I wanted. Pete moved Isurians to cover the gaps, while his Huns hung loose at the back.

My average catafracts attempt to redeploy, not the most maneuverable forces at the best of times! The cavalry in the distance attempts to draw out the enemy infantry in chaos theory.

CHARGE! Pete firing on two white, instantly rolls two wounds, killing a base, but I'm attacking with a +2, I should muller him, right? Yellow dice to white, more wounds and skulls... Nah, two blanks vs two wounds! Pete had some amazing luck on this flank.

Another cavalry charge sees off Huns still in skirmish formation, but they were taking losses to Pete's shooting, again! The man cannot miss! On the right of this flank, my cavalry on the charge lost another base. These were both combats I should have won, as on impact I was so far up, but, woosh! Handbags! Total misses now 4!

On the far right, my superior catafracts make contact with a unit of Byzantine foot.My bows skirmishers lived up to their name, skirmishing with his unprotected bows, and dragging them off the hill. Both units took losses, but it distracted Pete from my fast(!) approaching catafracts.
 Meanwhile my other cavalries move in and out of shooting range (to annoy Pete).  I was worried about the effectiveness of his darts, I really shouldn't have been...

The general situation, on the left, my beaten up cavalry held on, just. To the right, my catafracts chewed lumps out of Pete's foot, but not quickly enough, how many times can you miss on red or yellow dice!.

And my small cavalry unit breaks! 0-2 to Pete. I was looking at trouble here as Pete had way more units, and this unit of Huns could now cause all sorts of issues, getting into flanks. Actually, this was them done for the day. They just sat there and relaxed from then on.

My infantry look on, amused and somewhat relieved they are not fighting as my superior cavalry piles into Pete's main battle line. In the end I only lost one base to defensive fire. His catafracts charged, and my average catafracts countercharged to meet him, promptly losing a base! Meanwhile my guard cats continued to lump his infantry.

On the left, a pair of flank charges, I let one cavalry be charged by Isurians, as I had a shot on Pete's hunnic flank (awful photo, sorry), and if I broke away, I would have caused a KaB (Kill a base) on my own troops and probably blocked my own charge.  I was to lose two cavalry in return for one of Pete's here, score now 2-6! I broke on 6 units, you get two points for each unit broken, three of mine were now gone and life was tense.

Pete withdrew his bows, seeing that they were the next target for my catafracts, He had a difficult going hill, that was going to favour him on my breakthrough. All cavalry units were up, and causing losses on his foot and catafracts, but no where near quickly enough; this turned into a three round slogging match.

Eventually his unit in front of my superior catafracts broke, (4-4) as did his catafracts and then his two other foot units, the turn after. I had gone from 0-6 to 8-6 in a turn! I had to follow up into the bows and cavalry on the hill. The bows having a tactical (dis)advatage caused enough hits to break my guards (10-8), but I also caused enough hits to smash his gothic cavalry to the right on the bows, who also broke! Yay! (12-8).

I also caught his Huns on Pete's baseline, still in skirmish, in the rear (KaB followed by double red followed by yellows. 12-8 final score (maximum you can score without winning is 10, +2 for CinC surviving, vs Pete getting four of my units 8 plus he survived +2). A very close fight; I only needed one more unit at this point to break Pete, but time ran out. No triumph for the Sassanids this night, but a great game.
Pete was somewhat hampered by only having 4 competent generals, he had so many units that a lot of the time he could not get the ones not in immediate action to assist. His cavalry in 4s was too small and too brittle, I smell a list redesign on the cards, making his great army even more awesome!
My four small cavalry units served well, pinning 6 of Pete's 18 units, but at a loss of 3 of them, as they came in one by one, was painful. My catafracts and superior cavalry accounted for themselves well. My list may change a little, but not much...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

Aliens - more eggs, equipments.

+++Further transmissions received+++ Final set of bits from Assests and Hazards for Aliens, including four eggs. Eight more cases. Top view Three more terminals Classic beige Couldn't help myself - electric dreams!   +++Transmition received+++ What weird eggs are these? And one is already open, which means... Hold on, I'll just check the database... Errr, guys... There's a lot of blips... Another twelve of them! I've got them on monitor... They've breached the wall... They're coming this way! We can't stop them! +++Transmition ends+++   Four more crates. Because...   A few extra bits of usefullness to run the game next week. The stuff of nightmares, a pair of facehuggers! Really nasty idea Leaping to capture new victims Eeep! A pair of high tech computer terminals Living in electric dreams... Sure my Uni had these as high tech in t

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25