Skip to main content

Ottoman Turkish vs White Sheep Turkoman, a Rollcall warm-up! MeG Cavalry match up

Thurday's MeG. Two very balanced lists, one definitely trying out for Rollcall MeG competition in April.
This was a re-purposing of my Pendraken 10mm Mongols as Ak Koyunlu (also known by their Westernised name of White Sheep Turkomen) (nomadic types, horses, bows, armour, spears, you know the type)!
As I said, the armies were surprisingly evenly matched, but only because Nick's Ottomans aren't yet finely fettled with the dreaded Serbian Knights and other nastiness that I know will be heading my way soon!

My list is... TOP SECRET! But basically, as you look at it, everyone has a bow apart from the two units of Sassanid Persians, masquerading as Kurdish Lancers! Their is a unit of superiors, the Sultan's Guard (Black lances with red details) and two units of skilled flexible archers, who could deploy in skirmish if needed.
Oh, and this guy is my CinC...
(Really, do I need to explain a White Sheep reference)


Deployment
So, we ended up in the plains (a nice terrain mat is on my shopping list, panic not). I ended up with a nice hill for my camp and my foot archers to defend. Thankfully, they were never needed!



Our lines, Nick had deployed three units of skirmishing horses in front of me, one average and two superior cavalry slightly back, and in fortifications, and ARTILLERY! That was something I really didn't want to face, and even worse, Janissarys. Elite, skilled archers, lurking behind the best cavalry. Hard b*st*rds! Then more cavalry, and archers behind barricades, this was going to be a hard fight for two players not used to mounted armies!
Help!
On my left was my single unit of skirmishers, but supporting them were my two units of flexible cavalry, both in skirmish. They can reform into line and are much better shots than Nick's horse archers, but no impact or melee bonuses! The yellow bases were Kurdish Lancers, charging lancers with melee expert. Only average, but still packing a punch, beyond that, on the right, more horse archers...

Initial moves
Oh, Nick is corner sitting, not like him! 
His cavalry advanced, my big Lancers moved into a threatening position, while on the right five of my horse archer units maneuvered to try and find Nick's flank.

And Nick brought forward his 'Forlorn Hope', (Or as they were retitled, 'No F*cking Hope!'), firearmed armed skirmishers. In the face of cavalry, this was a dangerous option.

The lines closed. I spent my cards reforming my flexible cavalry into formed order. To counter the threat of Nick's cavalry on my right, my small unit of lancers moved out to support the flank of my horse archers.

I have to admit, I was worried. Nick had a lot of horse flesh out there!

The 'No Hope' were feeling really threatened now!

Contact!
Only the lancers, hitting Nick's cavalry though. All the other hits are shooting hits. This would be the scene for quite a while to be honest, as we both sought to reach an advantageous moment to charge. In fact, I was losing in some places!!!
However, as you can see, my far right hand cavalry command has a flank on Nick's cavalry, their end was to be short and brutal! I had counter charged his cavalry with my lancers, saving the horse archers (phew) who now had the full weight of fire of the Janissarys coming their way! 2-0 to me.


And someone blinked... We eventually all decided to charge in. 
Crunch! Well, more like a series of wafted flounces! The massive amounts of damage I was hoping for didn't materialise! I was also out of cards, so my left hand cavalry could not turn Nick's flank, or even chase off his light horse, it was just a stationary shooting match! In the center Nick had a lot of units that were badly damaged, but holding on fiercely! If you look carefully, you can see my unit of horse cavalry that has contacted two of his units.

Well, that didn't really go to plan! Nick's cavalry on the right chewed up my horse archers. The two units that his the Janissarys were summarily dispatched. (2-6) But Shaun and the Guard broke through. (4-6), as did one of my other cavalary units, sending the Ottoman horse to be made into (insert vaguely racist food comment there). (6-6) The lancers in my center were locked in to the superior cavalry of Nick's line, this was going to be touch and go!

Nick's cavalry on the far flank came out to play, smashing into my horse archers out there, I was out classed, and was in trouble!
My skilled cavalry shot away one of Nick's skirmishers (7-6).
My unit of six horse archers repositioned themselves after Nick fled away from them, and Shaun scampered back to reinforce the lancers as they sought to finish off their superior adversaries.
Legendary commander in combat is a +2, but Nick was supporting his line with his general )(+1 in return).

The moment of glory, Shaun leads his men to a solid victory!

The cavalry break forced a KaB and this also broke the Janissary's will to fight on. 15-6 Victory to Shaun and the White Sheep




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

Aliens - more eggs, equipments.

+++Further transmissions received+++ Final set of bits from Assests and Hazards for Aliens, including four eggs. Eight more cases. Top view Three more terminals Classic beige Couldn't help myself - electric dreams!   +++Transmition received+++ What weird eggs are these? And one is already open, which means... Hold on, I'll just check the database... Errr, guys... There's a lot of blips... Another twelve of them! I've got them on monitor... They've breached the wall... They're coming this way! We can't stop them! +++Transmition ends+++   Four more crates. Because...   A few extra bits of usefullness to run the game next week. The stuff of nightmares, a pair of facehuggers! Really nasty idea Leaping to capture new victims Eeep! A pair of high tech computer terminals Living in electric dreams... Sure my Uni had these as high tech in t

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25