Skip to main content

Warband - Grudge Match

The rules were as a standard battle, but the generals gain firce and impetuous (glad I didn't buy that for my General) automatically, with the intent to 'off' the opposing general.
As the Finns say:Kauna ottelu 
 A three (and a half) player encounter on Thursday night, with Jarkko and Son as the Undead, Mark as Barbarians and myself with the Dragonmen.

Jarkko & Son Undead
Vampire Lord wth powerful and regenerate (D6+1)
Necromancer (D6)
2 x skeletons with regenerate and skirmish
2 x skeletal riders with regenerate, one with skirmish
1 x Dire wolves
1 x Bat Swarm

Mark
Chieftain D6+1
Shamen D6+1
Warriors x 4
Buffalo riders x 2
Scouts x 1
Sand Worms x 1
Berserkers x1


Mad Lemmey
Baron D6+1
Dragon Priests D6+1
Warriors with powerful  x3
Warriors  with fire & impetuous x 3
Knights with fierce, powerful and impetuous x 1
Ogres and Giants x 1

A few thoughts on those armies, Mark is a great fan of massive armies of low quality troops, hence the fact he has NO upgrades! Jarkko and son were building to survive out of the bases I own, as they had just bought the rules for themselves. My list was a revision of the last game (where I was pants)!

We rolled for scenario and it was 'Grudge Match', and then we promptly ignored the deployment rules! ;) Terrain was the next consideration, Jarkko plumped for 3 small woods, as with a largely skirmish based army, he could chose to ignore it. I chose two hills and a piece of impassable, hoping they might provide a convieniant anchor for my force. Mark chose a river and a road...

This is not good! River count as impassible, and he had the only shooty stand on table! Also the river goes down first, the road last. We were sunk!

The river ended up splitting the table into three (not quite how the rules work, but it made it a lot more fun). One of my hills didn't bother to show up (roll of 6) and all Jarkko's woods ended up in his sector, mostly out the way (he rolled a 5, so we got to chose where it went). Mark then placed the roads in a typical Milton Keynes Roundabout!

The deployments - showing the roads and rivers - we were just setting up the terrain here.

Deployment, I went for a split, the front left tasked with taking and holding the far left river crossing and holding the undead, while the right-hand column was going to try to hit Mark's flank.

The first move (sweets were a mix of love hearts and milk-chocolate-spogs).

MArk and Jarkko both went for the river crossing between them. Jarkko with his skeletal riders and Mark with his barbarians. This was going to prove to be a long term fight, as both units were going to be supported by their generals points throughout their fight.

Mark's forces close on the crossing, he was now backed up be his buffalo riders. Meanwhile, on his right, he started sniping at Jarkko's bats with his scouts.


Jarkko sent his skirmishing riders to his right, while my Giants & Ogres crossed the river, looking for targets. Meanwhile, Mark had added his riders into the fight at the ford with the skeletons.

I crossed both river crossings, Jarkko's bats, after attempting a flank attack on Mark's engaged buffalo riders, were broken and routing!

My Giants & Ogres headed off on their own to attack Mark's barbarians, only to get swamped by his foot. D'oh!
Jarkko's general lurks behind the woods, adding their support points to the ongoing scrap at the river.
Mark put his buffalo riders out in front of my column, this was going to be a bottleneck that would cause me all sorts of issues!
A wide shot!

In the woods, my knights met Jarkko's riders, as my warriors prepare to flank him. I also got a flank attack Mark's riders, but it came to naught! Jarkko's mage was sniping at my front line, but failing to score any hits.

The Giants and Ogres perished under three units of Mark's barbarians, but Mark had me contained at the crossing.

And was threatening my flanks too!

In the wood, Jarkko's riders were in trouble.

Mark then brought in his Sand Worms on my warriors, I was being pushed back! But his Barbarians broke and disintegrated (they had fought for three rounds on 1 morale point, with the general backing them up with boost points).

Which meant his general was next in line to face the Skeletal riders!

An impetuous unit of mine ended up wedged in the river fork! Jarkko sent his Dire Wolf pack and his general to his right, trying to stem the advance of my troops. His skeletal riders at the ford had disintegrated, but had bounced Mark's general was pushed back too; and I had managed to push Mark's Buffalo riders back too, but this bottleneck was never going to break!

I had to do something about Jarkko's advance, so, my knights were gifted 'Aspect of The Dragon', where they could fly and get out of the woods quick!

The other ford was a MESS! The warriors had been broken by Mark's worms. The Vampire Lord of Jarkko and son was moving awfully quickly towards me!

My knights pile into Jarkko's wolves! That Vampire was worrying me though...

Jarkko brought his skeletons forwards to stop Mark expanding over the ford.

My forces fall back, a couple of units of warriors try to pick on damaged units of Mark's, but they had taken too much damage themselves, and were about to break.

Skeletons and Buffalo Riders met at the ford.

There was a warrior unit there a second ago! Jarkko broke them with his Vampire Lord in one turn! Somehow, his wolves had held my knights too!

My knights, and two more units of warriors broke vs Mark, and it was all over! I had shattered. Jarkko had lost 197 points. Mark less than 100!!!

Great game, at the end Mark's tactics worked brilliantly. Jarkko found the real offensive strength of his army in the Vampire Lord, who polished off three of my units in three turns! Great game, great giggles!
Next week, Graham, an even older friend, is using the undead vs my Taurians!!
Bit cluttered at the end, sorry!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

Aliens - more eggs, equipments.

+++Further transmissions received+++ Final set of bits from Assests and Hazards for Aliens, including four eggs. Eight more cases. Top view Three more terminals Classic beige Couldn't help myself - electric dreams!   +++Transmition received+++ What weird eggs are these? And one is already open, which means... Hold on, I'll just check the database... Errr, guys... There's a lot of blips... Another twelve of them! I've got them on monitor... They've breached the wall... They're coming this way! We can't stop them! +++Transmition ends+++   Four more crates. Because...   A few extra bits of usefullness to run the game next week. The stuff of nightmares, a pair of facehuggers! Really nasty idea Leaping to capture new victims Eeep! A pair of high tech computer terminals Living in electric dreams... Sure my Uni had these as high tech in t

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25