Skip to main content

Soldiers of Napoleon - 1813 Prussian vs French

 Marjk and I got together for another fun scrap of Soldiers of Napoleon. This time I took my 10mm 1813-15 Prussians, while Mark dug out his 15mm French.

A stream crossed the battlefield. A large wood sat left, a small copse right, with a hill on the right.


My cavalry sat on the hill, menacing. Two hussars a unit of dragoons ans an uhlan.
In the centre a brigade of infantry (2 musketeers,  a fusilier, and a landwher, with extra artillery and full caissons) To either side of the stream the rught hand brigade, with one artillery battery with a landwher cavalry unit.

Mark's elite Hussars cavalry swings left, his infantry masses in the centre, and two dragoons with artillery hold the right.
Mark's first card was 'Senior Commander Injured', leaving me down a command card for the whole game, and no access to rerolls. Plus this gives Mark a bunch of Victory Points. That made life somewhat difficult as Mark would always have the final say each round after playing alternate cards, and greater flexibility, plus he has an unerring ability to force me into morale failures quickly, as I would have less rallying capability to counteract him, if I wanted to use my cards for agressive actions instead.

Mark's infantry surges across the stream. I tried to hold him up. However, his massed batteries have already seen off two units by now, and I'm looking fragile. I did pick up one of his line, but not enough to even the point losses up

Both Brigadiers in the centre fail their at risk rolls, forcing then to flee to safety, and losing a card for each player in the next turn, but Mark's reserves arrived turn 1, meaning I was now two cards a turn down each turn (5 plays 7). Thankfully a command confession special event helped even the score a little, causing Mark to lose two activation cards for turn 3.

Landwher and line musketeers under assault and batteries. 

Mark takes hits on his veteran light infantry the other side of the wood as my artillery can see his unit, however, I never scored enough hits to worry them.

Mark's columns try to assault, but it fails! My forces breathe a sigh of relief.

My reserves arrive, giving me a card back. Mark looses a unit in the centre, but my left hand Fusilier unit fails under sustained artillery fire.

My mixed cavalry brigade leaves the hill, aiming to pick off the dragoons and their attached artillery. This would be a major victory point boost for me if I could pull it off.

Yup, my centre collapsed! Mark blew me to pieces.

Repeated cavalry assaults did nothing to his dragoons., except gift him points for winning combats. Even hitting him with more initsvwas not good enough. The French dragoons sneer at my efforts.


And on the left, I was not coming out the woods with two hussar units patrolling the area..

Mark was way ahead of me on points by the time we called it a night, it had been a tough, but really enjoyable game. A few rolls here and there and I could have won it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  A good game nonetheless. 

Comments

  1. Thanks, a good game indeed. I have SoN, but only played twice and now the gap has been so long, I need a full re-read to get the rules to memory again ….. such is the way when jumping from system to system! I don’t like card play too much, but SoN does have a solid game engine regardless of the cards thing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Frostgrave Warband; a demon!

A demon Hard man - back armour Top down   An orc, been sitting in the pile of shame for a while. He's on a 30x30mm base Probably end up with my gobbos   Four more skeletons, a gift from my lovely neighbour Brian. Two Prinz August self molded skeletons and two games workshop skeletons. Back view Quite a mix of weaponry Charge   Antediluvian Miniatures recently produced these, and I just had to have them! Left - Right Heinrich Kemmler, Lord Krell, Ranlac the Black and Mikeal Jacsen! The four main characters based on the illustrations within 'The Terror of The Lichemaster warhammer 2nd edition mini-campaign. PDF here They are the main antagonsits of the campaign, and genuinely nasty pieces of work! I moved the arm pose on Krell to give him some depth For c£20 they are lot bigger, and a damn sight more affordabl...

Black Powder 1870 Stats and Modifications

1870 Franco-Prussian Conflict in Black Powder Hi all, If you are reading this, it's because. like us, you are Black Powder fans and want to know how we manage the Franco-Prussian War. Anything below is by no way official, just the house rules we have developed over the last few years of playing. A few thoughts first: Fighting in the period is best described as hard fought assaults by Prussians, supported by superior artillery against superior but very strong defensive French lines. All ranges and movements are in cm scale, just to be awkward! All my forces are modelled on 3” square bases, apart from divisional commanders, skirmishers and artillery which have a frontage of 1½” and Corp commanders who are on a 2” base. Feel free to ignore that. My units are regiments of infantry,   brigades of cavalry and skirmish squadrons of cav. Artillery is either battalion as one gun, or a battery of two guns on a base, horse artillery have limbers attached. Army composition...

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain.  I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them   Here comes the couragous WWI fighter ace in his Sopwith Camel. Hunting The Red Baron on the Dawn Patrol. Bit bigger than 25mm scale, but he will provide top cover for my Kindred WWI stuff. Yes, you have seen the flight stand before on my epic stuff. He's going so fast, the camera can't focus! "Curse you Red Baron!"   Two more Highlanders from the 80s, thanks to Brian up the road. Armed with two bottles or a sword, who is harder? More plaid Well hard! Top view   A chaos warrior It was free, and I've given it to a mate who runs a chaos armym=, hence th elack of basing as he will do it to his own style. Big chopp...