Skip to main content

Frostgrave Warband; three extra dwarfs

Three (maybe two, one is a mounted version of himself, the one with the beer mug), two on the left are 'Kalmarr' from CP models, one on the right is a mage/alchemist.


Advance!


Back view


Is the anvil symbolic?
 
Chaos Fire Mage, with a hint of witcher...
Yennifer of Vanderberg


Tried to make her look like the video game, which I don't own!


Catch!


Fireball!


Boom!
 
Another gobbo, wiv an axe!


He's meant to be a Hobgoblin King (what, if anything, is the difference between hobgoblins and goblins?)


Cloak
 
One of my neighbours gifted me some old old old figures, these two 1980s skeletons - GW type, join the Order of the White Bear.


Top view


Good fun painting these


There's more to do


But these two are cool, skeletons have no body heart!


Chaos warrior


Mostly ostrich, a large amount snake, some human.


Quite an interesting sculpt, who did this one?


Certainly a night terror!
 
A new Jason - erm... Goblin with a stinking great axe!


Must be posh Jason, as he's got trim on his cloak!


Grainy cloak, obvious doesn't use biological powder.


Mean and moody
 
Throw a penny to your Witcher!
A witcher, a trainee witcher and an Imperial mage.
Okay, I admit it, I loved the series...




My usual view


She really doesn't lean like that!


They look a bit good really!


White hair and frost, doesn't really work!
 
 Figures from Brother Vinni
 
Jeanne de Clisson - The Lioness of Brittany - this time mounted.









 
Another figure!
Jeanne de Clisson - The Lioness of Brittany from Bad Squiddo
Quite a lady, pirate queen and all!!

Annoyimngly, she was a little camera shy, so I had to subject her to an outdoors photoshoot!













28mm Goblins.
More Jasons, not idea why, just fancied painting some, to be used in Dragon Rampant or Frostgrave or...
First batch from Westfailia Miniatures, a gift from Bill when he sent me his Kickstarter as he was moving to Singapore back  in 2018. It included a small amount of 'Steppe Goblins'.

Spear totting Jasons, I could have straightened the resin spears, but something more disorganised about having cronked weapons.


Shield details


Trudge trudge trudge!


Running away!


A unit of six scouts


TWANG!


TWANG LEFT!


A pose I suspect I will see a lot! RUN AWAY!


Big Steppe Jason


Mean and moody!


Packing extra armamant


The infantry gang


Not too heavy man!


Oathmark plastic goblin wolf riders. Really not sure why, just like them a lot!
Wolf rider spears


They went that a way!


Running...


Top view


Quite like the figures, wolves feel big, or is it that the Jasons have small heads!


Wolf rider archers


Wonder if they ever heard of Parthians?


This is what I think about when I consider what Goblin armies should be like, hordes of fur wearing wolf riding Luton Town Fans looters, not GW pointy hatted loons!


Haing fun with spare figures (Dragon Rampant suggests 6 to a unit, and there are 15 to a box, I will buy another box and these will be subsumed in)


Fearsome


Fearfull?

A few newbies join the crowd! Elf mages by Nolzur's Unpainted






Three classic Citadel knights (just noticed the similarity between the right hand and Lucie from 'Disenchantment')!


My 90s paintjob was soooo bad!


Although my shield painting has not improved!




Cleric for Mark to use in our D&D campaign (a shed dive while bored over Easter weekend)




Mark wanted him to be a templar type (even with the horns).




Been a fair while, but three characters added, two for a lock-down D&D campaign one for a friend. The big guy is an old GW figure and the two halflings are the latest Wizards of The Coast D&D figures




 
 
A few more figures added from the backlog.
Four more characters from the boxed set

There are two more, but no idea where they are?

This dwarf disappointed me when I first got him in 1993, no armour, not an impressive weapon, but actually painted up okay.

This figure REALLY annoyed me, it just feel WRONG! no scabbard, so it must be magic right? Or could the sculpter not be bothered? Also, the armour? "Half Scale armour, no we meant halfway down!"

One of three mages in the set, will find the others one year...


Wood Elf Archer, pre GW doing interesting things with elves, this one really feels a bit dull.
 
And a Ral Patha Half-Elf Ranger that I bought in a set in the 90s (the Dragon went to my mum), but had never painted. I always liked this figure as she was not too scantily dressed!

 
A dwarf smith (might have to be a mage) and a Tin Man (medium construct maybe?)

 Got the colour balance wrong here...

 Another dwarf berserker


Pre the orange haired GW days I guess!

Another Terror of The Lichemaster figure, 'John-Boy'.



Since I was on an ancient dwarf theme, here are three more 'classics'. Okay, two classics and something else...

Dwarf on his throne, Juggo the Berserker from the Magnificent Sven, and Gimbrin Finehelm from Terror of The Lichmaster



Been a while, but rooting through boxes for Isolation projects, I found these, and a quick repaint later, here we have some more figures for both my warband and some opposition.

Ranlac the Black, from the Terror of the Lichmaster who will act either as a Death Knight or an armoured skeleton.



Adventurers, L-R 'Arka ScarGill' , The Magnificent Sven, a halfling, and a Figure with 41d under his base.

The Dwarfs

With the token halfling (I love halflings, never have enough) 
 
41d, whoever he is! A useful slinger, several thousand miles north of where he is supposed to be one suspects!

 Now some wandering monsters monsters...

Giant birds that inhabit the ruins... Copplestone Penguins, must have bought these in 2007-8?

p.p.p.p.p. Pick up  a penguin!

Darkness engulfs the batch

 The batch




Close up of the shields in detail.
 



GW LoTR Wraith King from the 80s...


Last of my original batch of wandering monsters.

Snow Leopard

Snow Toad - Baron Greenback anyone?



Wild Boar, sorry to bore you



And a couple of 1980s and 1990s Demons that are being repurposed for Frostgrave.
Minor Demon - 'slottabase' removed and rebased.


Major Demon (or Balrog - as it says on the base, a present from my Step-Granny in about 1988)

 



To scale with a 32mm Frostgrave undead.
 

More treasures, and a skeletal rat that had escaped basing!


An extra wand that I lost from the original batch!



 Skeletal rat



Finally got round to painting my undead for Frostgrave, and another Goblin!

Skeletons
Order of The White Bear, an ancient military order, sworn to defend something, even after death. Unfortunatly, a lack of vocal chords means that asking them what their mission was is rather difficult, and no one gets near enough to ask, or ask and survive long enough to get a translation!





The boss is camera shy!


Rear view of the boss.

A ground burster, ambush is a nasty weapon!

Jason the Apprentice, he may be gifted as a natural magician, but he is also gifted at carrying magic items!


Spare part cache!


Can you out run him?

Zombies


Ghouls


The originals follow:
This was a Kickstarter Hasslefree ran a while back, I backed it to the tune of half a dozen figures. Most of the choices were rather scantily clad, fortunately, Kev White also decided to sculpt a set of figures that were sensibly wrapped up for the winter - thus brilliant for the idea of Frostgrave

The warband.

I feel I might need some long range missile support.

Warband leader - Necromancer

Bard/Apprentice


Knight


Barbarian I


 Paladin


 Barbarian II (let's just imagine she has left a warm, sensible cloak somewhere shall we)


So, I decided to add some more bits...

Treasures (the objectives of the game)




My first wandering monsters, bears (I bought these about 8 yeras ago, thinking I might use them as Snow Trolls in Bloodbowl Norse team)


And approaching a warrior


Who says Humans get all the fun in Frostgrave. Dark Hold Goblins, by Rebel Miniatures.

This was a Kickstarter from years back, and now I've bought reinforcements to make these into a warband too.

Jason the Mage, with his familiar, Little Jason

Jason the Warrior


Jason the Assassin


And a female character, now, I couldn't call her Jason could I?
Jacinta The Witch

That's the feminine for Jason

A few more beasties arrived!

R.O.U.S.!


Wolves


Wild doggies.


It's a bad day if this lot all turn up at once!

Next few figures done. Enjoy. Hasslefree female adventures, as I decided I needed more long range firepower.

An archer, a red witch and another archer (who claims she is a member of royalty, but no-one is sure)

And now for my 'other' gang by Rebel Miniatures.
Goblin warriors
 At my eldest's suggestions, Jason on the left put his lovely new red jacket in the wash with the other's uniform. Thus he sports a rather large black-eye!


Serg Jason IS NOT HAPPY!

Jasintia the Druid, with Ratusratus, her familiar

As a druid, plants spring back to life near her.

Jason the Knight


Seriously armoured goblin!

With his familial crest, the Moaning Jasinta!


Jason the Ranger


Jason 'Crowbiter' the Mage (Hasslefree)


Jason the Barbarian (by being a Goblin Barbarian, he can read and write, appreciates fine art and knows a lot about C4thBCE Greek philosophy)

Comments

  1. Up for a game of Frostgrave then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, just need to paint my undead!

      Delete
    2. Due to circumstances beyond my control etc etc.

      I had the terrain all ready as well...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Only going back to the 80s...
      I've some Britain's from the 20s in the garage!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

15mm By The Fire and Sword Transylvanians commission.

Principality of Transylvania ( those ones , not those ones , get your mind out the gutter). Batch 4:- Ten more bases of Transylvanians (so thirty figures) for Manny, this time Comitatus or heavy household troops. Heavy lancers. A lot more colourful than the light horse. As ever, Manny will do his own basing and add flags later. Lots of cloaks Quite a sizable force Batch 3: 30 extra Transylvanian light horse for Manny Not as bright as others, but these are lower order troops. Advance Lots of hairy cavalry As ever, Manny will base these himself. That way lads! Player's eye view At the trot The force, so far (there's still have a bag of blisters to do) Batch 2: As ever, Manny will add the flags and his own basing at his leisure. 12 bases of household levy lancers (36 figures, not sure how many units that equates to) for the 15mm Transylvanians. Only realised whe

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25