Skip to main content

10mm MeG, Imperial Romans vs Early Mycenaeans

A trail for both Mark and I, his Mycenaean, in preparation for Warfare, my Imperial Romans ready for London tomorrow!

The battle in full flow.


Mark brought his massive and very pretty Mycenaean as both a war-up for Warfare, but also to test out my latest Roman configuration. If my Romans were shocking, it was a bit late to change them now!

Not giving away my army list, just yet, but will once the fights this weekend are over... Honest, guv!

Very dense terrain, with a forested flank (left, and all our terrain picks fell in the left! This means as there is no space for them , they are lost! (Two villages, a rough hill and a gentle hill should be in there somewhere). This just means Mark with his close order army gets the clear terrain he needed.

I deployed left, bows in the wood, legions and auxilia in a nice, straight line, as 'Barker Intended', with cavalry sitting back behind the line as a buffer. This was before generals needed to be deployed, as Mark with 13 TuGs and 4 SuGs, even though he was out scouted, would always have units deploying after me.

My first movement cards, so glad I do not have an allied general in this army! I was worried that with only three generals, one talented, one competent and one mediocre, I would not have enough cards, but being drilled covers a multitude of sins, but not that many on these cards!! If I had allies, that would be in real trouble.

It was enough that by turn 2, I had advanced obliquely, angling to pin as many of Mark's Long Spear, Shield Covered, Integral Shooters with my forces. One bright spot, my cavalry could swing out to protect the line end. With Romans it is very easy to act historically with the cavalry and hare off and get them killed!

On the next door table, Adrian and Nick appear to be playing scissors-paper-stone! Nick brought a new list to try (they may look like last week's Normans, trust me, they're not), and so did Adrian (his army is entirely proxied), the result was in the air!

Faced with superior, long spear, battle chariots, backed up by average chariots, my cavalry were being cagey!

The line is forming up, Mark's skirmishers were preparing to pepper my line, but with shield cover, the losses were never going to be high.

My cavalry decided, being drilled and these things are dirt cheap, that they were going to pull back to a safer distance knowing Mark could charge and we could skirmish away.

Unskilled javelins vs Battle chariots, enough slows and a wound to stop the heavies hitting me. Phew, pretty cool dice to be honest!

And then my other unit threw EXACTLY the same dice, meaning the faster light chariots would also be slowed by two, ensuring both of my cavalry could escape.

Over in medieval land, Nick has smashed through Adrian's front line and was eyeing up the rear with glee!

Mark's massed foot and my legions and auxilia chose their charges carefully. With Mark having long spear and integral shooters, I had impact weapons and integral shooters too, it was a matter of both of us paying to hold units to stop charges and stare at each other, menacingly!

My auxilia crash into Mark's unprotected, combat shy bows, and promptly start loosing bases. But I'm better than him! Eventually, I break him (0-2), but I'm very fragile, and those are superior battle chariots armed with long spear lurking behind!

'ELP!

Mark's chariots on the other flank, get hit in the flank by my cavalry and are shattered. (4-0) The general scuttles back to safety on the next unit. They did not last either. My pursuing horse could not reach Mark's chariots, but I was (6-0) up.

Back to Mark's battle chariot charge, which, as predicted, slams through my already dented auxilia like a knife through butter! (6-2)

Mark's other line chariot slaps my end legion with a rather large fish, I started on an 8 here!

It must have been good, as they are all moving really quickly! Nick is chewing lumps out of Adrian, although his loose order foot stand firm, while the close disintegrate. Nick would win 15-4.

Somehow, my battered foot hold on, even after a flank charge, so Mark put one of his spears into their flank. He must have rolled 20 dice at my foot, and they all missed. My cavalry hit his flank, could I get through these too?

Another of my auxilia disintegrate under Mark's spears (6-4) this means I can't get flank charged as Mark pursues on, but  my other foot units are grinding away at Mark's spears.

One of which soon fragments (8-4). It's all a bit tense as I break on 10, Mark breaks on 14.

Another of Mark's foot breaks against my legion on the left (10-4) Unfortunately, to it's right, my largest legion breaks at the same time as Mark's enveloping foot (12-6), at the bottom of the picture, my flanking cavalry take apart the third chariot unit (14-6), which gives me the game (15-6), just!

In the post mortem, Mark knew he had thrown his chariots away, and I knew that I had got lucky with a lot of my dice. I was relieved to see my army could deal with a meta force (lots of units, can you chew through before they envelop you). My command structure, despite the dodgy early dice, actually worked, see how they hold up tomorrow.

Another cracking game, and I'm sure Mark will exact a bloody revenge very soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

15mm By The Fire and Sword Transylvanians commission.

Principality of Transylvania ( those ones , not those ones , get your mind out the gutter). Batch 4:- Ten more bases of Transylvanians (so thirty figures) for Manny, this time Comitatus or heavy household troops. Heavy lancers. A lot more colourful than the light horse. As ever, Manny will do his own basing and add flags later. Lots of cloaks Quite a sizable force Batch 3: 30 extra Transylvanian light horse for Manny Not as bright as others, but these are lower order troops. Advance Lots of hairy cavalry As ever, Manny will base these himself. That way lads! Player's eye view At the trot The force, so far (there's still have a bag of blisters to do) Batch 2: As ever, Manny will add the flags and his own basing at his leisure. 12 bases of household levy lancers (36 figures, not sure how many units that equates to) for the 15mm Transylvanians. Only realised whe

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25