Skip to main content

Soldiers of Napoleon - 15mm - 1815 Anglo-Allied vs French

Last night's game, Dik and I settled down to a civilised game of Soldiers of Napoleon. Dik has many beautiful 15mm armies, so I matched his scale, and then had to decide whether t use my 1806 Prussians of my Anglo-Allied. After some umming-and-ahhing, I plumped for the Anglo-Allied as the second 1806 Prussian brigade still needs more infantry.
We chose 1000 points, and Dik pre-randomised the terrain, A big, empty, centre sector, my left with woods, and the right with a large hill and a hedged field.

My list
British Infantry Brigade:
2 x 5 stand Line Infantry units
1 x 5 Light Infantry
1 x 5 Veteran Infantry
3 rifles attachments
2 gun 9lber battery with full caisons 
Artillery reserve with a 9lber and a Congrave Rocket battery (we were not sure if this was a legal formation, but the rockets did not hit anything all night) with full caisons 

Brunswick Brigade
1 x 5 stand Leibgaurds
2 x 5 stand reserve infantry
1 x 3 Uhlans
1 jager attachment
2 gun 9lber horse artillery battery

British Light Cavalry Brigade
2 x 6 stand Hussars
1 x 5 stand light Dragoons
2 gun 9lber horse artillery battery

In reserve (and never actually turning up)
Dutch Cavalry Brigade
1 x 4 stand Hussar
1 x 4 stand Light Dragoons

All cavalry also had fine horses.

8 scouting points! I chose 'Hold the Line', as it feels right for the army. Dik chose 'All out assault' Both of us echeloned towards the hill!

On the left, the Brunswickers advanced out of their deployment zone, and stayed their all day, happily.
In the centre, a sharp intake of breath as the Hussars and Light Dragoons realise that three units of five dragoons are bearing down on them. While my trops are good, Dik's are heavier and come with 'shock impact' a bonus on the attack dice, whereas my fine horses is a one time bonus. Both of us advanced (me, only slightly with my artillery as I wanted them firing).


To the right, both the French and British infantry brigades pitched up with the hill between them. I held the field system, which with a small move forwards was able to defend the hedge line with skirmishers forwards while the French advance on the hill..


Turn 2, and the cavalry crashed into each other, repeatedly. On the left of the brigade, my Hussars were pushed back, as were Light Dragoons on the right, but in the centre my Hussars push Dik's dragoons back onto the swamp. My artillery also decided to unload cannister into the right-hand dragoons. The issue for Dik was he was in attack column, which he struggled to get out of, whereas I was in line, so I get an extra dice, also I managed a 0 point rally, which put my troops back into good order, so would also be at an advantage while Dik was losing dice for being disordered. He has 'shock impact' on his cavalry, so that evened up the dice a little. Most of our victory points came from this sector as attack and rally and attack and rally kept happening here.


We even ended up with units behind each other! Dik's two right hand units took massive amounts of hits, and I picked up many points from Dik having to rally troops to keep them in the game. I went from being quite a way behind to ahead!


We also hit issues with not being able to withdraw to rally (one of the ways you are allowed), as the enemy was behind each of us. We did swap lost artillery batteries.


Dik also played a battlefield objective, which had to be 'take the high ground', so the Highlanders and KSLI had to leave their nice, safe, field and advanced to contest the hill. On their right, the Light Infantry was suffering from Dik concentrating three units of skirmish fire a turn on them.


Which saw the light infantry break. Thankfully, I rolled low on the random P table, and only two VPs went to Dik, keeping my lead.


By the end of turn three, and the end of our gaming night, Dik had to reduce his right hand dragoon unit to three bases to survive, his rear unit could not unshake, and on the left the too-and-fro continued between our units.


At this point we had to call it a night, I was a whole 1 point ahead! If my reserves turned up, they would have joined the cavalry melee, and then three professional units might have gone from Dik's forces. The hill would be a whole other battle, where hopefully my British line would hold out against the French massed advance. The Brunswickers were nicely safe though! Unusually, neither army benefited from artillery cards or lack of ammo cards. 

Great game, pleasure to play Dik, and a 'Damned close run thing' Now looking forwards to next week when the Guard Imperial take on Mark's Austrians again! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Another Grenadier 1984 from Brian's collection - possible Flesh Golem? Pants! Quick job, but fun   TT Combat Halfling adventuers, a barbarian, a fighter, a ranger (with squirrel), a mage, and a bard (with bagpipes) Rough bunch Distancing themselves from the Bard! Fireball!   Really random. Converted GW 1990s halfling on a Ral Patha sheep - a ram raider! There are quite a few more of these to do, but this one fell off the lead pile while I was looking for something else. He will become part of a Dragoon Rampant units I suspect Back view Charge!  

6mm Pony Wars commission for a friend.

Friend asked me to do his Pony Wars kit now that Baccus have taken it over.  Painted quite a lot of dismounted native foot too! Top view Singles Why is there a Squeeze song going through my head. Sneaking up on the cavalry Back view Heading out Pairs The Indians send signals from the rocks above the pass The cowboys take position in the bushes and the grass The squaw is with the corporal, she is tied against the tree She doesn't mind the language, it's the beating she don't need Threes She lets loose all the horses when the corporal is asleep And he wakes to find the fire's dead and arrows in his hats Or something like that Here we go Sixes Top view Left view Snipping or sniping 8s Lefts Backs Right Missed two bases of US cavalry Going that way Ready to go Scouting This is going to end badly for the cavalry   [img]https://i.imgur.com/k1iK9pV.jpg[/img] Mounted US troopers for Keith. The pairs Top view Off they go. Player

Legion Imperialis 8mm - Civitas ruins boxed set.

Terrain box (Civitas ruins) painted up Honestly took me longer to build it than it did to paint! But there may be a reason for that Someone needs a word with their structural surveyor! I mean, the build quality here is awful. At least the marines will have somewhere to hide It's about an A3 of ruined stuff It's been trashed Comes with a lot of scatter  The rest of the club was doing it, so I had to do it!  Looking through the various Legions from the Horus Herasy, I decided... Nope. Don't like them. Stick to what you know. 'Stick 'Em In The Eye - It's the Emperor's Pointy Sticks' So, seven years after I painted the 'Emperor's Pointy Sticks' in 6mm, GW have released Legion Imperialis in 8mm. Marine booster pack painted up, group photos! Mixed bag About 100 extra points on table!  "Did I miss the photoshoot?" *FACEPALM* These are the ones I've be