Skip to main content

Burrows and Badgers: Defend the Haul!

Saturday, Chezzy and David both came round to try out their beautifully painted gangs at Burrows and Badgers. As I was running the game, I did not take my usual thousand picture, so a few to set the scene as we played. I decided to use my Stoat themed gang, as my Freebeasts are a little powerful for a first game. Single species lists are okay, but the lack a mage and healing capabilities. Slight mitigation to this is that from our Freebeast rolls, we picked up master crafted Extra Heavy and Heavy armour, giving my two leaders a lot more staying power, and the suit of heavy armour I had laready bought.. I forgot to send down the chain of command, so no one else got it! D'oh!

Between the showers, we set up the terrain.

We talked through skills and stats and the leaders improvements, then rolled for scenario and dot 'Defend the Haul' a game where one gang has to defend a terrain area, and loses when the other gang out numbers, or eliminates a gang. With three of us, this was always going to be hard work for the defender, which is the warband with the lowest rating...

Me!
Bobbins! 

So, David and Chizzy were rolling initiative each turn, then I would go last. Can I hold the central terrain vs TWO other gangs?

Things started well when Matilda my Ferret landed six hits on Lady Sarah from Chezzy's gang, things were on the up! Neddy Stoat went into combat vs Chezzy's hare, and missed completely! David's lady fox closed from the right too, and Sir Dereck and Small set out to deal with her!
Unfortunatly, Neddy the Stoat took an arrow in the neck turn one, knocking him right down to d4 for EVERYTHING in turn 1! David's mole was underground, and was sure to pop up soon.

Sir Dereck charged the Lady Fox, and with one swift blow of his mighty axe, floored her and she was out the game! (10d+2 Zweihander, +2 for the charge, and a perfect roll +7 = 21, vs a 1 to block from David, we didn't even need the +3 strength bonus for a two handed weapon). Things were definaitely looking positive here!

Smalls charges David's Cat, and fails to do much, while Neddy charges up the hill to deal with the Rabbit that had prviously grevously injured him! David's leader lurks in the ruins ready to snipe!

The Mole pops us, and immediately he and Sir Dereck are at each other with their great weapons. Chezzy pulled a blinder on her flank, perching her sparrow 'Sixpence' on the chimney, thus claiming a share of the objective! She was also flooding the objective with her two dogs and  a cat as well as her hare!

Talking of Hares, her one laid into my stoat and floored him! This left Matilda in a precarious position, especially as she was now heavily out numbered. Matilda took down Lady Sarah from Chezzy's gang, and while I was holding on, it was inevitable that I was losing too..

After two rounds of combat, the Mole was despatched. Smalls was tied up fighting (and slowly losing to) the cat, and David's crow mage was doing stirling service healing his troops.

The adder Slippery Sid moved in on Sir Dereck, but his attacks kept bouncing off Sir Dereck's armour (he must have put his false teeth in wrong), but Sir Dereck's axe bit deep. However, on the hill, David's rabbit but Eddy down, and Matilda went to ground next to the house. Teddy, my sniper, was also in trouble as one of Chezzy's dogs of war had him pinned back against the house!

With Smalls tied up and down to his last points of health, andNeddy out the fight, I was on 50% losses, and although I had inflicted three casualties, it would not be enough. Chezzy held the objective, while I had beaten David back. A loss for the Stoats...

What it had proved was how hard Sir Dereck is, he had two kills by himself, and was very nearly at his third. Annoyingly, I failed to achieve my secondary objective of 'Loot' as each time he dealt with an attacker, someone else filled its place! Daid also had 'Loot' and managed to loot Neddy, gaining quite a lot of pennies, whereas Shezzy and I both eneded up clearing the bank to feed our gangs!

Neddy, Teddy and Matilda all took injuries (no one passed their recovery test), but thankfully the gang met a healer on the road and all injuries were healed. A great game, a difficult scenario with three players, but fun none-the-less, nd we will definitely play again soon, hopefully indoors or in better weather.

Just after the others left and I packed up, it hailed! We got away with it!


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

Aliens - more eggs, equipments.

+++Further transmissions received+++ Final set of bits from Assests and Hazards for Aliens, including four eggs. Eight more cases. Top view Three more terminals Classic beige Couldn't help myself - electric dreams!   +++Transmition received+++ What weird eggs are these? And one is already open, which means... Hold on, I'll just check the database... Errr, guys... There's a lot of blips... Another twelve of them! I've got them on monitor... They've breached the wall... They're coming this way! We can't stop them! +++Transmition ends+++   Four more crates. Because...   A few extra bits of usefullness to run the game next week. The stuff of nightmares, a pair of facehuggers! Really nasty idea Leaping to capture new victims Eeep! A pair of high tech computer terminals Living in electric dreams... Sure my Uni had these as high tech in t

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25