Skip to main content

Mortiem et Gloriam - 10mm Tudor English vs 15mm Later Swiss

Before lockdown (hands up who remembers that time), I promised Steve another learning game with is Swiss.

So, as restrictions finally eased, I went to his place for a rematch game of MeG featuring his absolutely BEAUTIFUL Swiss army (here's the first fight).
Normally, Swiss is a bit of a difficult list to use, small, expensive and if not used properly, damns its owner, it's one of MeG's perpetual underperformers. Steve has slightly tweaked it since that first game, and now it is even harder!
However, then there is my Tudor English, which so far, in both FoG(R) and MeG is a serious underperformer! In MeG it has won... no games. Let us see if it could change it's stars? (hint - no).

Steve's camp, man he is a good painter!

Steve's beautiful army deployed. Death looks on, knowing he will have a busy day.

The two forces deploy. Steve has 5 TuGs, three Keils of 12 pikes, 2 of which are superiors. A unit of superior halbards and an average halbard unit, plus two skirmishing crossbows and a unit of handgunners.

Henry VIII has brought artillery, two units of billmen, a retinue archer unit, mercanary pikes, a unit of Men at arms (on foot) a unit of knights (who dismounted), a group of Welsh spears, the Household Cavalry and a unit of light knights (Curriors).


My plan was to pin the Keils front, and take the left hand halbards with the Welsh spears and curriors. Steve decided to stay out of artillery range! We moved up to just out of charge range with the mass of foot.

Damn those pikes are FAST! I had to throw in my dismounted knights to try and stall them from hitting the Household Cavalry (who would have been up on the charge, then massively down in melee). If I can hold him here, I can cause them all sorts of hurt

Well, that didn't work! Steve's pikes and handgunners rain down hits on my dismounted kmights, who break.(0-2) After several turns of falling back, my foot decides the gap is big enough to go and meet the Swiss Keils. My bills on the right push back Steve's crossbows, to allow them to try and get round the back of the Keil and their softer underside.

On the left, my archers try to pincushion the superior Keil, to little effect. Behind, my Welsh spears and curriors try to squeeze Steve's average halbardiers before his superior habardiers, that have been doing a countermarch that Longstreet would be proud of), reach and crush me.

My game of dodge the Keil continues for the Household Cavalry.

Nope, not gonna make it! I might get my cavalry into his flank though, problem is his skirmishers keep knocking lumps out of them!  The center is joined, and the big fights begin.
By the way, VIMTO jelly babies, wow! Not as strong as Vimto drink, but really tasty.

It's a good looking force to run over you!

My caalry flank charge hits, it's on +4 for the flank, +2 for charging lancer, Red and Yellow s Black, and it does... a wound! Oh come on!
It will then go on to consistenlty underperformed while being peppered by Steve's crossbows, even to the point of rolling a red, with yellow overlap, and getting an 'S' and a miss! Drat! Steve manages to charge my spears in the flank, and they miraculously survive too!

Henry and Suffolk both join in the fighting at the centre. They lend their support to average, heavy armour, 2-handed-cut and crush vs 3 ranks of pike, it should be our fight (+4 vs +2 gives me a net +2, so 2 yellow dice and a white overlap, vs two white), but they roll nothing but blanks (yellow dice, pah)!

On the other side, my meer-canaries are suffering vs Superior pikes with a general, who keep rolling shove against my bills and then killing pike blocks...

It's so close, I keep losing bases to crossbow shots (off shot top), and missing the halbards. I get 2 out of 6, but both my units are taking hits, and not returning the compliment!

My right hand bills make it round to hit Steve's rear, causing lots of hits, but suffering from the other crossbows and his superior back rank turning to face. My rear 8 is now 5.5, his 12 is 9...

Disaster! Both my cavalry and spears break, in the shooting phase! Picked off by crossbows, and causing a KaB on the spears, who leg it too. (0-6)

Just when I thought I had him, his superior Keil were down to 6/12, with my rear attack causing all sorts of issues, he wipes out both bill units within moments of each other. (0-15) and my army breaks!

Drat! Double Drat and Blast!
My Tudors continue their reign as my least successful MeG army.
I had three of his units within a smidgeon of breaking, but it was not to be! It's a beautiful army to face, and very hard to beat. I should have charged my foot spears a turn earlier, which might have pinned him in place for a better charge by my cavalry, or got rid of his skirmishers so they couldn't shoot me to pieces, but not much more I could have done apart from thrown much better dice! Great game, well played Steve.
1-1 now, decider soon?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

Aliens - more eggs, equipments.

+++Further transmissions received+++ Final set of bits from Assests and Hazards for Aliens, including four eggs. Eight more cases. Top view Three more terminals Classic beige Couldn't help myself - electric dreams!   +++Transmition received+++ What weird eggs are these? And one is already open, which means... Hold on, I'll just check the database... Errr, guys... There's a lot of blips... Another twelve of them! I've got them on monitor... They've breached the wall... They're coming this way! We can't stop them! +++Transmition ends+++   Four more crates. Because...   A few extra bits of usefullness to run the game next week. The stuff of nightmares, a pair of facehuggers! Really nasty idea Leaping to capture new victims Eeep! A pair of high tech computer terminals Living in electric dreams... Sure my Uni had these as high tech in t

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25