Skip to main content

Senguko Samurai vs Yuezhi - 10000 MeG

Yuezhi - who they?
Basically, nomadic horse archer types that troubled the Chinese around the second century BCE, and on Wednesday night, somehow they made it all the way to 15th Century Japan for our fight.
10mm vs 15mm fun!
Paul is an expert at using cavalry armies, and man this was going to be a tough fight as Paul trialed an army. My Samurai really don't do well against horse archers as I found out as Campaign two years ago...

 My deployment (I was never going to out scout Paul with one card vs his 7), we deployed in dense coastal terrain, with two towns, a coast line, rocky ground, woods, open terrain and jelly beans (from Aldi)

Paul swings a massive block of cavalry in towards the end on my line. they are flanked by light horse, supported by catafract cavalry and more cavalry.
Paul is channelling his inner Theoden tonight! 

My allies push forwards, and my cavalry tries out their new trait - 'dismountable', they lose their short spear, and gain an extra 2BW on their powerbow range when they get off their horses. We burnt a LOT of black and white cards to get this far!

And those who know me know I will not sit back in a corner. Paul is giving my superior six of powerbows a VERY wide berth.

Foolishly, I let him have a gap to get through. Those are flexible cavalry making for my backfield.

My two fours of dismounted cavalry terrorize Paul's light horse.

On the left, my average archers face off against flexible cavalry, this squabble would go on most of the game, unfortunately, Paul would out shoot me in the end!

Unprotected, cavalry, facing skilled powerbow, yes please! Rats! Missed!

My other archers, although suffering a death by a thousand cuts, unleash yellow dice on Paul. Yes, that is three slowing shots on me, only four bases is fragile!

The general situation, looks like I'm surrounded. We were both lossing bases from shooting, and no one had made it into contact yet.

One of my dismounted bows has now lost 50% strength, but it would take a couple of turns for Paul to get the final kill on them. I'm even turning units about to push Paul's cavalry about. They were lucky.

That's a big gap, as his catafracts avoid my bows. My spears push forwards in an attempt to pin units down.

It's like catching fog! Each time I get near the horse lord, he slips away. Paul is really good at this.

My left hand archers are fragile, as Paul switches flexibles from skirmish to loose, especially the ones behind my front line!

 Indeed, my army is ripe for the picking. Paul has completely out played me here. I was hoping to get my spears in somewhere! Or my bows, or even a wet kipper might have been more effective...

My fragile two dismounted bows spot an opportunity and charge some of Paul's flexible horse that were troubling my main superior bows, but behind me, the rest of Paul's cavalry masses. 

And my left hand bows finally break (Paul was close too). I was trying to goad his catafracts into my spears (top centre right), and my superior spears (top centre left) were attempting to catch Paul's other archers, but I had forgotten his flexibility, and Paul has set up a flank charge that could tear me apart.

 Paul suddenly finds one of his cavalry units short of men as three powerbow hits kill two bases. Another of his units (far right) has also suffered previously.

That is a LOT of charges Paul has put in here... His catafracts suffred two deaths, and my superiorr spears took hits too. Paul has also run over two of my superior powerbows as well as my average bows with skirmishing horse (0-6, and I break on 10). 

I swing my other bows around to try and pick off his damaged cavalry, and only cause a wound! Ohhh...

I get him down to 3 bases, finally a hit that breaks him (2-6) it will not be enough I fear, so close, yet paradoxically, so far away!

The end comes as both my average and superior spears break, giving Paul a well deserved win. (2-15)

A very good game, and a challenge for both of us, not a frustrating game as some rules, and I felt like I had him under pressure at times, but I let too much round my back. Maybe I should have corner sat, but it's no fun.
Well played Paul! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

Aliens - more eggs, equipments.

+++Further transmissions received+++ Final set of bits from Assests and Hazards for Aliens, including four eggs. Eight more cases. Top view Three more terminals Classic beige Couldn't help myself - electric dreams!   +++Transmition received+++ What weird eggs are these? And one is already open, which means... Hold on, I'll just check the database... Errr, guys... There's a lot of blips... Another twelve of them! I've got them on monitor... They've breached the wall... They're coming this way! We can't stop them! +++Transmition ends+++   Four more crates. Because...   A few extra bits of usefullness to run the game next week. The stuff of nightmares, a pair of facehuggers! Really nasty idea Leaping to capture new victims Eeep! A pair of high tech computer terminals Living in electric dreams... Sure my Uni had these as high tech in t

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25