Skip to main content

Multiple Medieval MeG Maulings at Milton (Keynes)

Damn, one alliteration too far!
Image result for henry viii cartoon
A last minute game vs Nick, as I had pimped my game with Mark off to Paul (confused, so were we).
As I waited for Nick, Mark and Paul fell on each others throats like hungry wolves.
They had both arrived with 100 Year War armies, Mark was French (a tasty army that he had some success with at Warfare 2017) and Paul trialing the Early English (so lots of powerbows with no stakes)! Paul and Mark have met previously on several occasions, but it never lasts long.
Mark and Paul deploy.

My list


Nick arrived with his Communal Italian forces, and we set about getting underway. Nick chose to attack, so somewhere on the South coast, Henry VIII readies his defenses, and wonders how the Italians have found a time machine!


Mark and Paul advance, and in the distance, Mark lines up his knights on Paul's English archers. 

And his knights thunder into Paul's men at arms.

Paul's longbows miss, and the knights tear a hole into the centre of the archers.

Bursting through at the top. Meanwhile, below, the knights start to be hacked down by the English men at arms in prolonged melee.

Mark brings his knights back into the flank of another unit at the top, while Paul has dealt some heavy casualties to Mark's mounted.

Meanwhile, as the Tudors deploy, a cloaked figure stalks the army. 'Tis an omen.

Somewhat outscouted, Henry deploys wide and to the left of an area of broken ground. The Italians mass on our right with a small force of knights holding the coast..

Generals position themselves with their forces. Henry floats to share out his cards.

That's a lot of pavaises!

Mark and Paul continue to slug it out (Paul badly misses with his men at arms, allowing Mark a breather).

Nick advances, fast! A great wall of knights bears down on mine, making my longbows redeploy to try to intercept.

Mark breaks off his knights, while finishing off another archer unit. Paul charges into Mark's men at arms for an even scrap.

Reacting to the left hand knights, both my men-at-arms manoeuvre to face, while my bills head right to attempt to engage the main line.

Henry's mercenary pikes and his retinue bills move towards the Italian lines while his knights back away, quickly!

English longbows vs Italian knight. Oh well!

On the left, Nick's knights thunder into my men at arms.

Meanwhile, Paul and Mark are still tearing lumps out of each other as two lines of men at arms deal incredible damage.

These were two units of 8s!

The result of Nick's charge. I am on a factor of...
Fully armoured (doesn't count on a charge)
2 handed cut and crush (doesn't count on a charge)
Melee experts (doesn't count on a charge)
oh... 0, versus:
Charging lancer +2
Superior +1
General +1
Red and white for Nick vs my black. Nick's result = 1 dead and a shatter.
 Which produced a +2 to his next file, causing a kill and a wound, and instantly breaks my elite Yeoman of the Guard! (0-2) Units of four are incredibly brittle.

I have to admit, I was hoping for a little survivability there!
His second unit thunders in, and only wounds, which we match.

But he kills a base and a half on his next roll, which takes the second 4 down to one base off breaking! Nick also smashes into the flank of my billmen, and this will not be pleasant either!

THAT HURT!

Random point! Mark and Paul are nearly done, and we are still on turn 2!

My bills on the left conform to Nick's knights, but are severely out classed. He envelops my men at arms, and although I will out fight him, he only needs a wound there to utterly crush them.

I break away with my cavalry, again.

While my pike and bills, ignoring the mess to their left go hunting crossbowmen.

And indeed, it is a mess. Heavily armoured superior melee expert knights (+3) vs bills (+1), nope, not ending well here. Must be something more interesting elsewhere?

Okay, that was unexpected, an actual kill. Just ignore the fact my bills are down to half strength and will evaporate any second, there's a good fellow!

All setting up nicely for a good scrap in the middle here. Come on, it's the only positive I've got here!

Look, it's the back edge of the table, we shall stand here!

While infinitely better knights charge us.

Pikes charge pavasiers, bills charge mounted crossbows to try and clear them out the way.

Crossbows, pavaise AND short spear. Nasty little combination there!

The knights pile in. Strangely, the only loss I take it the one place I am up! Oh well.

Been a while, but Paul smashes Mark 15-8. Both centres look fragile there.

Talking of fragile things, my bills and men at arms disintegrate, leaving Nick 0-6 up.

As my pikes take losses on the impact, but deal out one of their own too.

The knights start the melee, suddenly things are a lot more even (even if my right hand unit is fighting at -1 as they don't have shiny posh armour).

And even more on top when we break all three units in two turns! Really impressive work by my knights there, Nick spent a lot of time shaking his head about this one. If he had sent in his fourth unit, he would have nuked my line (6-6).

General situation, suddenly both our right flanks are winning (which means the left is losing I guess). Nick's general had to scoot back to his own line quickly, after going from talented to mediocre in a turn!

And he was being stalked...

My pursuit brings my knights to the aid of my beleaguered Welsh spears.

My bills charge Nick's pavaisers flank, and his spears charge me.

And my bows charge his crossbows while the Household Knights pile into the flank of Nick's knights.




Unfortunately, Nick's break through knights had reached my camp.


The last of Nick's knights perish, and his general is swept away by Death. (8-6)

In the centre, I had failed to spot Nick had been setting up his crossbow armed cavalry for a flank charge.

On the centre right, my cavalry close on the pavasiers, but due to clanking in heavy armour, can't make it!

An ineffective round of fighting by both sides, except my bows have suffered from Nick's short spear and pavaise option.

My camp falls. (8-8, and I break on 10!)

But the end came from an unexpected source, Nick's rear crossbow armed pavaise, basically bored, takes a black shot at my longbows, because, well, why not!
And rolls a black dice, scoring a wound (1:6) chance, which break the unit.

Which smashes the army! All these places I could lose, and it's a stray crossbow bolt.

A fabulous game, I was not expecting to get 8 points out of this with my awful Tudors, but they surprised me. They have still never won a game, but each time they cause huge amounts of damage. Those 4s are just too brittle, on both sides.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

Aliens - more eggs, equipments.

+++Further transmissions received+++ Final set of bits from Assests and Hazards for Aliens, including four eggs. Eight more cases. Top view Three more terminals Classic beige Couldn't help myself - electric dreams!   +++Transmition received+++ What weird eggs are these? And one is already open, which means... Hold on, I'll just check the database... Errr, guys... There's a lot of blips... Another twelve of them! I've got them on monitor... They've breached the wall... They're coming this way! We can't stop them! +++Transmition ends+++   Four more crates. Because...   A few extra bits of usefullness to run the game next week. The stuff of nightmares, a pair of facehuggers! Really nasty idea Leaping to capture new victims Eeep! A pair of high tech computer terminals Living in electric dreams... Sure my Uni had these as high tech in t

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25