Skip to main content
Finally, my first game of Frostgrave. After work and work on Wednesday (school and the Military Intelligence Museum, go on, give us a visit), I popped round to Chris's for a game on the way home.
Chris has his own superb blog here https://coronasan.wordpress.com
We decided to play the basic scenario, just so I could get to know the rules.

Chris had set up a rather lovely table. A dark and stormy night in Felstead.

I decided to use my Goblin Warband by Rebel Minis. By pure fluke, Chris was using his Dwarf warband!!!
Back rank, (Left to Right) - Jason, thug. Jason,  thug. Jason-at-Arms (Infantryman).
Front rank (LtoR) - Jason the Archer, Jason the Apprentice, Jacinta The Witch, Jason the Theif, Sir Jason The Knight

Starting moves, Sir Jason trudges forwards to guard a treasure token, with Jacinta behind.

Chris' dwarves make an early surge for their boxes.

Sir Jason and Jacinta, helped by a Telekenis spell, swoop up a second chest, while Jason the archer reaches the first chest. He also tries shooting one of Chris's dwarves, not on that dice!!!

Chris attemts to retaliate with an elemental blast! 

One of his dwarf thugs piles into Jason, Jason and Jason, Jason is knocked flying!

Meanwhile, Jason the Theif sneaks off with a treasure chest (he might not be good at fighting, but he moves quickly, ideal for getting that treasure out).

Jason the archer makes a hasty escape as the lightning flashes from above (Chris with a perfectly timed flash)! Approaching Sir Jason the Knight and Jacinta are two dwarves, one treasure hunter, one infantryman. This was going to be a foot race to get this treasure out without it being stolen by Dwarves.

WOOF!
Chris's warhound takes down Jason, Jason-At-Arms is worried!

Chris's apprentice, lurking in the shadows, assists with ranged support as his warriors move in on the poor goblins. However, Jacinta has a trick up her sleave, and hits him with a poision dart (this knocks off one of his two actions, massively reducing his ability to react to trouble).
Poison dart proved to be my saviour!

The force of Woof's attacks shakes the world! All three fighters on that flank are down. 

Jason and Jason retire with their treasures, phew!

Jacinta and Sir Jason are struggling with the weight of their treasure! Chris launches his Warriors into my mage, this was going to be one sided!
Jacinta hit the deck, but thankfully Jason the Apprentice managed to get a second poison dart into the other approaching Dwarf warrior, slowing him to half effect, and realistically taking him out the fight!

Hold on, a wandering monster appears, right next to Chris's apprentice! A Polar bear, drawn by the smell of blood, approaches and stalks the Apprentice, with only one action, how will he get out of danger? (Dumdumdum)

Thankfully, Chris's mage had 'Wall' in his spellbook, and a successful cast puts a large amount of brick between the bear and the apprentice. This distraction allowed me to heal and then sneak Sir Jason with his treasure chest, and Jason the Apprentice grabbed the collapsed heap of Jacinta and drag her to safety!

Ton of flesh claws the wall, but the last treasures are taken off table, and Chris gets his guys to safety!

My casualties, Jason the Thug will miss his next game (he's seeing stars); Jacinta... what would she roll?
She was badly wounded, Dwarf blades hurt! She was healed, but at the cost of 100 GC from the treasure we found!

Chris did really well, magic sword, grimore and many coins! His dive rolls were great, constantly beating up my grunts, so came away with a good haul of coins and Exp too.

I got 230 experience, 250 GC (minus healing ), not too bad for a first go, two potions, one was an Elixiar of Life, the other an Explosive Cocktail (GRENADE), might need that, and Robes of Arrow Turning, Nice!

Really enjoyed the game, lot of laughs.
Learned a huge amount: thugs collect treasure, not fight, characters fight, not the other way round! Make sure your mage is protected, not fighting!! Fighting is deadly, wow, but great fun, if you ever actually hit!!!

Cannot wait to enter the ruins again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

Aliens - more eggs, equipments.

+++Further transmissions received+++ Final set of bits from Assests and Hazards for Aliens, including four eggs. Eight more cases. Top view Three more terminals Classic beige Couldn't help myself - electric dreams!   +++Transmition received+++ What weird eggs are these? And one is already open, which means... Hold on, I'll just check the database... Errr, guys... There's a lot of blips... Another twelve of them! I've got them on monitor... They've breached the wall... They're coming this way! We can't stop them! +++Transmition ends+++   Four more crates. Because...   A few extra bits of usefullness to run the game next week. The stuff of nightmares, a pair of facehuggers! Really nasty idea Leaping to capture new victims Eeep! A pair of high tech computer terminals Living in electric dreams... Sure my Uni had these as high tech in t

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25