Skip to main content

Mortiem et Gloriam, Imperial Roman vs Sassanid Persian

Another Warfare warm-up.
My Sassanid Persians, unchanged since the last time, but against a completely different enemy. Mark's Early Imperial Romans. An army I have met, fought and been tonked by on several occasions. Mark is a good player, and I was not expecting an easy game.
All his units were in 4s, 6 x superior legions, 4 x average auxilia (one with melee expert), two superior cavalry, and a superior lancer. Breaking on a 7, its a big force.

The table, Mark wanted 'Dense Coastal', unfortunately, for him, I controlled the terrain, dragging it to plains, and out-scouting him too. The coast stayed, nit much else did.
A blurry terrain shot, my forces to the right.

My initial moves were somewhat limited, with 5 black cards in my hand, one yellow, two green and the rest white! I sent one small cavalry forwards, my large superiors moving towards the outer edges of the table. My catafracts were stuck behind without cards!

Mark sent his auxilia towards my poor spear, I tried to screen his dangerous legions with cavalry, my average catafracts moving into a holding position, and one of my small units fleeing a charge. Turning to face Mark were one on my s small units and a large superior cavalry unit, closing in behind them were my superior guard catafracts. As you can tell, my cards were picking up!

A blurry shot of the action as catafracts and cavalry meet legionary cavalry and lancers. All Mark's cavalry is superior and melee expert, so two levels better than me in melee. This was a holding action, as I wanted my decent kit to deal with Mark on my terms, not his.
In the lower right edge of the game, Marks superiors are already losing to my average horse!

Mark's auxilia, three units of them, charge my spears. On the left, my unit of skirmishing archers had disgraced themselves by not only completely missing his charging foot, and then rolling a 1 on their skirmishing roll, and standing still as his auxilia ran over them. Dudes you're called skirmishers, that involves SKIRMISHING! 0-1 to Mark. My javelins did cause a wound on his centre unit. Mark was up on the charge, I was in trouble!

Except, after impact and melee, for every wound he inflicted, I had inflicted one back on him and taking two losses, I was fine, and Mark had lost two units! How? 4-1. Oh yeah, there's a dead general of mine there too. Strangely, on red dice, no one really cared!

Over in the centre, one of my small cavalry broke, plus my average catafracts, as did my small average unit on the far left, but they had done their job. had weakened Mark's units (fighting at a -2 and winning is always comical, but it didn't last). They had fought hard and yes, I was in trouble! 4-7, but I had caused a lot of hits on the way, plus my superior catafracts were pinning down two of Mark's cavalry which stops him pursueing while I  manoeuvre my superior cavalry moved to take his exposed flanks. I have a unit bottom right threatened in three directions, but I have the ability, and speed to break off.

Over on the right, here's a sight I will probably never see again, poor spears pursuing quality troops!

And as my general respawned, he joined the fight against the melee expert infantry, who also shattered into pieces, three units of auxilia smashed by dross! 6-7, this is tight...

One of my two large superior cavalry catches a damaged legionary vexillation in the flank. They fall apart, causing KaBs (Kill a Base tests) on everything surrounding it. Superior cavalry, you can take a skull and break too! (10-7) The Catafracts deal with the lancer cavalry unit, (12-7), suddenly Mark has gone from being very much up to being in serious trouble.

That's the rear of a very beaten up cavalry unit of Mark's. we each need one hit to break...
But I have the cards, and a charge set up by my superior cavalry on his rear. Mark conceded rather than face the inevitable.
15-7 to the Persians.
I managed to use two units to pin and distract Mark, they paid a heavy price, my average catafracts did their usual trick and died when up, less said about my skirmishers the better!  However, this was always a hard fight for Mark, I was able to pick my fights, avoiding his legions.
But losing three auxilia to my poor spears was rather unfortunate though, if he had sent legion that way, I would have been a one molecule thick layer across the table instead! Great result for me, great game all round.
Next time I'm sure he will mince me.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

Aliens - more eggs, equipments.

+++Further transmissions received+++ Final set of bits from Assests and Hazards for Aliens, including four eggs. Eight more cases. Top view Three more terminals Classic beige Couldn't help myself - electric dreams!   +++Transmition received+++ What weird eggs are these? And one is already open, which means... Hold on, I'll just check the database... Errr, guys... There's a lot of blips... Another twelve of them! I've got them on monitor... They've breached the wall... They're coming this way! We can't stop them! +++Transmition ends+++   Four more crates. Because...   A few extra bits of usefullness to run the game next week. The stuff of nightmares, a pair of facehuggers! Really nasty idea Leaping to capture new victims Eeep! A pair of high tech computer terminals Living in electric dreams... Sure my Uni had these as high tech in t

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25