Skip to main content

10mm Warband Fantasy - The Shrine of the Ox

John and I got together for a Warband bash last night. He chose his Dwarves, my eldest chose my Taurians, a healthy mix of Minotaurs and Centaurs.


Taurians
D6 General (fierce, fear, powerful)
D6 Shamen (fear, powerful)
3 minotaurs (all fierce, fear, powerful)
1 Centaurs
1 Centaur Knights with impetuous, fierce and powerful
1 Centaur archers with parting shot

John's Dwarves
D6 + 2 general with resolute and shieldwall
D6 + 1 Mage
Four warriors with shieldwall
Gyrocopter
Stone Gollum
Rangers

For some reason, the light was not right last night, so the battle was fought in the early dawn, our action happens as the dawn breaks!

We rolled 'Battle for The Camp', but after some sneaky terrain placement, John managed to run a road to the camp, which allowed him ways in. We decided the fight was actually using the camp template as a shrine inside a village. John realised quickly that Dwarves were not a great force for this scenario against a more maneuverable foe, either attacking or defending!

I lost the initiative (the joy of a d6 general, initiative was going to be John's tonight), so was defending. Knowing John did not have great rough terrain troops, I had to block the ways in. You are allowed to deploy up to 3 bases away from the camp, so I went for an even split with the general and shaman backing up the centre.

The general and shaman, minotaurs and centaur knights (three powerful hitting units).

Two minotaurs guarding the lower road entrance.

Centaur and Centaur Archers minding the gap, the archers come with skirmish, really useful for getting through terrain.

John advanced en masse, aiming at the gap with the bulk of his forces, while his gyrocopter came over the hill.

My shaman had a useful spell, it allowed all my units within 1BW to be impetuous, and since I failed a bunch of motivation tests in the centre, I still got moves out, but took a hit because of it.

And on the left, my minotaurs moved up nicely to threaten John;s flank, despite getting sniped at by Airwolf!

We managed to react, speed and hard hitting is the theme of the Taurians, but would it be enough?

Airwolf swung in behind, John's rangers headed in through the wood towards the shrine, they must be stopped! My knights swung out wide to the right, while I tried to form a line with the shaman covering the back.The centaurs split, the archers to the left, warriors to the right.

John's rangers, supported by Stone gollums, tried sneaking through the wood, but my centaur archers managed to move 4 base widths and sneak a shot at the rangers, but they missed!
Drat!
John's return shot hit though.
To the left, John's dwarves faced off against my minotaurs, on the right, my other minotaurs crashed into more warriors.
My chieftain slammed into the rangers, but John's stone gollums crashed into the cheif! Aargh!

The chief threw five dice on the charge, three hits, and the rangers were pinned to the rear by my minotaurs and John's warriors, they were taking an extra hit! Oh, the red counter signify 'Powerful' -1d6 save, the Rangers were toast!

However, those rocks rolled, and rolled high! My chieftain took three powerful hit, this was going to hurt!
Unfortunately, my impetuousness backfired as my shaman on the right came in charge range of John's Low King! SPLAT!

See those hits, that's the mage being tonked!

Over on the right, the back and forth began between John's heavily armoured dwarf foot and my hard hitting half-bulls! My chieftain broke off, as he had taken more than two hits.


But boosted himself to save three! Yehaa!

Mages break easily!

The next turn, my chieftain charged back in, on a flank, six dice needing 4+ to hit, this will be easy!
 BUGGER!
So, I boosted him by one. Seriously, 7 dice, 7 misses, this is John level rolling here!

See, as he tried to motivate his warriors to deal with my centaur archers. 5 rolls, 5 fails! The hits on the rocks are by archers and a minotaur in contact.

See how quickly minotaurs run!

And my general is pinned. Dwarf warriors get shot at by parting shots, then hit in the back by charging minotaurs. On the right, dwarves get hit hard by knights and centaurs, and the left, the fight also rages on.

Yup, that sort of charge hurts!

My general keeps up his amazing run of luck, five powerful hits, three failed saves, Bye! Bye!

One of John's warriors broke under my knights, but the minotaurs in the middle were damaged and being double teamed, they needed a rescue, and fast!

Oh lawks! Stone gollums flanking my flanking minotaurs! John is very good with heavy units. They had taken two wounds, but I was not going to last long!

The hits pour in, I'm suffering, and because my general has died, I cannot boost anything.

A flank charge by my knights should crush John, the minotaurs pour hits on his general, it's desperate, but can I win!
 Or not! He saved them all!

Bonus, another warrior unit gets flattened!

John tried to get his Dwarf mage to charge my minotaurs in the flank, but, he was a bit short (We apologies about the quality of the jokes, it was a long night)!

John's red shield dwarves, who had not failed a motivation all, entered the village and took the shrine, desecrating the holiness of the Taurian site.

John had me, and he deserved the win! Despite some bad dice rolls on his part, mine were worse! :)

What would I change - nowt apart from not making my shaman not impetuous, and supporting my general. I had great fun, it was a brilliant game, loads of laughs and fantastic moments. Warband is a simple set of rules, but getting it right with the scenarios is massively hard.
If John had been defending, with Dwarves movement of 1BW, I would have run rings round him and grabbed the objective early. But that's the game! It was fantastic!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

15mm By The Fire and Sword Transylvanians commission.

Principality of Transylvania ( those ones , not those ones , get your mind out the gutter). Batch 4:- Ten more bases of Transylvanians (so thirty figures) for Manny, this time Comitatus or heavy household troops. Heavy lancers. A lot more colourful than the light horse. As ever, Manny will do his own basing and add flags later. Lots of cloaks Quite a sizable force Batch 3: 30 extra Transylvanian light horse for Manny Not as bright as others, but these are lower order troops. Advance Lots of hairy cavalry As ever, Manny will base these himself. That way lads! Player's eye view At the trot The force, so far (there's still have a bag of blisters to do) Batch 2: As ever, Manny will add the flags and his own basing at his leisure. 12 bases of household levy lancers (36 figures, not sure how many units that equates to) for the 15mm Transylvanians. Only realised whe

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25